Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speaker selection dilemma for Monsoon replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speaker selection dilemma for Monsoon replacement

I've read through many of the previous articles and while I can see both points, I'm not sure what should be the 'preferred' method and I think many of them de-railed since the OP didn't know if it was a Monsoon system or not. So I'm looking for opinions/advice on what I should do for the 'rear fill'. I have the following already decided, just trying to determine what to do about the sail/hatch area.

HU: Pioneer avic-8200nex
Front: Focal PS 165FX FLAX components
Sub: JL 10w3v3 in driver stealthbox
Amp: JL HD900/5

For the Rears, do I look to use the sail location with a matching Focal PC 165F FLAX coaxials or cut out the sail speakers altogether and go with components in the hatch like the Focal ES100K (4" component set in the K2 line). If I had to say a typical music type I listen to, it would be mix of pop/rock/country depending on the week.

Thoughts (especially @WhiteBird00 ?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2019, 03:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

That's going to be a matter of personal preference. Putting 6.5" speakers in the sail panels will give you more of a surround sound ambience while smaller speakers in the hatch, whether or not they are components, will be more like rear fill. Audio "purists" will say go with the rear fill because it keeps the sound stage up front with more of a concert hall experience (something they consider to be the ultimate listening experience). On the other hand, typical listeners prefer the immersive experience of surround sound. It's a personal choice and you shouldn't let anyone try to convince you that one way is "better" than the other just as you wouldn't let them tell you that red is a better color than black (although I think white is best).
Old 08-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the feedback. Would there be any benefit in leaving the current sail panel speakers attached to the monsoon amp as part of the system if I replace the ones in the hatch? I understand there may be difficulties in adjusting the levels, but it would give the opportunity for changing out the drivers with something else when they do go bad or now if so desired.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I would not use any of the Monsoon equipment in conjunction with an aftermarket system (the one exception is adding a true sub and amp to an otherwise stock Monsoon system). If you're going to go to the trouble of installing an aftermarket amp and speakers then don't use any of the factory stuff - including the wiring. Besides, you would be running pre-amp (RCA) signal to your new amp but the Monsoon takes speaker level input. No kidding level adjustment would be a bear.

Now if you like the idea of mid-bass in the sail panels in addition to rear fill then do it with your new amp. Put a couple of 6.5" mid-bass "subs" in the sail panels with low pass filters and then a couple of full-range 4" speakers in the hatch area (no need for components) for rear fill. Done properly, the sound from this configuration can be quite full and rich with good frequency range from mid-bass down through full bass with your sub.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 08-13-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 for removing all monsoon things and going 100% aftermarket, it's life changing.

Quick Reply: Speaker selection dilemma for Monsoon replacement