Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Cylinder Head grounds.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cylinder Head grounds.

Not sure if this is technically the right spot, backstory, I did a HCI swap on my 98 Fireturd. When removing the heads I was unaware of the 3 grounds and I broke one. I repaired the wire and lengthened it and grounded it to the valve cover/Coil bracket. The other 2 are bolted to the head and are tight. Well my car will not start unless a scanner is plugged into the OBD port. So I ask, when I removed those grounds 2 where plugged into 1 bolt and a single wire plugged into its own bolt. Do these wires specifically need grounded like that or once grounded it’s good. Also, I keep seeing that there is a ground on the back of the passenger side head but I don’t remember taking one out on that side. But I know the 98 models differ from the 99-02. Any insight/help just to make sure how can I test my grounds are good. Electrical diag is not a strong point for me.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Smaller ground goes to rear, topside of valley nedt to cam sensor. Then another to driver side on backside of cyl head. Also to passenger side, mid block area car f cars. On trucks is the driver side. Been a while since yanked an f car motor out.
Old 04-03-2021, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't use a valve cover as a ground. It's insulated from the head by the rubber gasket around the edge, and the rubber grommets on each of the bolts. There might still be some contact, but not good. Coil bracket just attaches to the valve cover. Any direct attachment to either head or block should be good. I also like a ground wire connecting the heads, for no good reason.

Quick Reply: Cylinder Head grounds.