Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sporadic Trip odometer resets to 0 issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Sporadic Trip odometer resets to 0 issue

So every so often on initial start up my gauges do a full sweep and the short trip mileage resets itself to zero. It happens sporadicly wether it's been sitting over night or short drives. The car is stock except for suspension mods. I tried searching the forums but have yet to find others who have experience this issue.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,251 Posts

I remember there being a specific issue with this on the '99 model year cluster, and it would usually be brought on by a slightly low voltage condition, but I seem to recall there being a deeper issue with the cluster that somehow made it overly sensitive to this condition. Regardless, I don't recall this issue carrying into the later years of this cluster, I don't think there was any specific issue with 2002. With that said, I would check the basics first - meaning battery post connections and perhaps a battery test (if it's not recently new).
Old 05-21-2021, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Trip odometer resets itself issue

Has anyone had an issue with the odometer sporadiclly resetting to zero upon start up? All the gauge needles do a full sweep when it happens when I start it up. Except for a few suspension mods the car is stock with a good battery and alternator. Is there a ground to the cluster?
Old 05-21-2021, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I remember there being a specific issue with this on the '99 model year cluster, and it would usually be brought on by a slightly low voltage condition, but I seem to recall there being a deeper issue with the cluster that somehow made it overly sensitive to this condition. Regardless, I don't recall this issue carrying into the later years of this cluster, I don't think there was any specific issue with 2002. With that said, I would check the basics first - meaning battery post connections and perhaps a battery test (if it's not recently new).
Yeah it's the 99 that's doing it. The cars is battery less than 2yrs. old and alternator seems good. Aside from suspension upgrades the car is stock.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:33 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by gm02ceta
Yeah it's the 99 that's doing it. The cars is battery less than 2yrs. old and alternator seems good. Aside from suspension upgrades the car is stock.
Sorry, I just looked at your username and first car in your signature and assumed it was the '02.

It makes much more sense to be the '99, this is a known issue with these. I didn't own my '99 long enough to encounter this problem, so I'm not sure if there is a fix besides just replacing the cluster. But it's definitely a documented problem if you try a search for issues relating specifically to the '99/1999 cluster.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

I've had my 1999 since 1999 and never had a problem but this issue is definitely an interruption in power to the gauges.

When this happens, I would watch the voltmeter on the gauges. If it doesn't twitch, that would make me less confident in the gauge cluster, itself. (I would expect a power interruption from the battery, alternator, loose engine bay wire, etc. would also show with a flicker in the voltmeter gauge.)

If this is a problem in the cluster, I would bet its probably related to a cold solder joint issue - just like we see on many other components of the car. If one can find the spot where the issues is, the fix is pretty simple.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:30 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

This is a classic sign of a failing battery. Many times a battery will hold enough charge to show good voltage at rest but be unable to handle the starting load. The sweeping gauge needles and the reset trip meter are sure signs of this.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 848 Likes on 649 Posts

I had a Ford van that had a similar issue and it was the connector going into the gauge cluster. Could also be the battery grounding out if it's loose.

Quick Reply: Sporadic Trip odometer resets to 0 issue