Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Window issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Window issue

Had something weird happen today. My passenger window won't roll down with my drivers switch. It will roll down with the passenger switch, but only rolls up with the drivers switch. Wth? So to recap:

Drivers switch: rolls passenger window up but not down
Pass. Switch: rolls passenger window down but not up

Any ideas? Drivers switch need replacing or cleaned up and add dielectric grease?
Old 06-08-2021, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

WhiteBird00?

Old 06-09-2021, 08:46 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

This sounds like it is the driver's side switch. You can confirm by pulling the switch and unplugging it. Then apply power to the tan wire and ground to the light blue wire - the passenger window should go down. The other things to check would be that the brown wire has power with the ignition on and that the black wire has good ground but since you didn't mention other window problems (such as the driver's window not working) it's safe to assume that those are both fine. So, if the passenger's window goes down when you test, you can be sure that the switch is the problem. You can try cleaning it with some spray contact cleaner first. If you want to take it apart, I recommend doing so carefully on a table with a light colored cloth since there are a bunch of small parts and springs inside which are easily lost.

The switches are still available (even on Amazon) for under $20. Camaro part number is 10402842 and Firebird part number is 10402845. As far as I know, the only difference is that the Camaro switch is black while the Firebird switch is gray.
The following users liked this post:
Tyler Dietzenbach (06-09-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Drivers switch was bad. Replaced and fixed.

Quick Reply: Window issue