Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Lights not working right!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights not working right!!!!!!

So I've check to see if anyone has had a problem like mine, but no one has. The tail lights and side markers stay lit up when the key is turned to the on position. When i use the signal lights they work but the driver side signal light causes the odometer to go bright and dim with the signal light. When i use the passenger side it doesn't do it. Now once i turn on the head lights the driver side signal light stops working and just stays lit. Its on a 1999 trans am. I've bought all new bulbs, new turning signal front light connector for the lights. When i turn the hazards on they work fine but as soon as i turn the healights on they stop working on both sides.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Check your grounds, I haven't dealt with a Camaro but have worked on several other makes and models and a bad ground causes all kinds of odd things to happen to the lighting. Since the drivers side causes the dash lights go bright and dim and I would start there.
I'll give you an example. I repaired several S10's with the issue that the brake lights work until you turn on the headlights, Then the brake lights quit and the tail lights are dim. The fix is to replace the ground wire connector at the rear where it connects to the frame, That's just an example for an S10 so it may not apply to your car.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:51 PM
Teching In

I've narrowed it down to the driverside head light and turning light. I messed with the turning light and now the light in the back are off. All signal lights work now and its not going bright and dim but as soon as i turn the head lights on it stops working. Do you know where the ground to those are located?
Old 09-01-2021, 08:55 PM
Teching In

It seems to be something with the turning signal connector. When i mess with the bulb or wires it fixes. Its a hit and miss but that's the only thing that seems to make a difference. I have put a new connector but maybe i wired it wrong🤷‍♂️.

Quick Reply: Lights not working right!!!!!!