Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ECU tuning and VATS delete

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ECU tuning and VATS delete

Can anyone explain to me what XMP/OS/BIN I should be using for my ECU thats from a 2006 Tahoe with a 2WD 4L60e?

Im trying to use tuner pro but cant figure out how to find out what BIN/.XMP to upload to my ECU before I brick it. I paid a guy off here to delete VATs a while ago but still suspect its on this ECU.

So Im trying to learn how to check and delete it my self. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Again mostly just confused on how to track down proper BIN/XMP files and figure out what OS is on my ECU so I dont brick this thing.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Gearhead-efi.com has a lot of info.

Are you flashing with LS-Droid? If so, when you read the PCM it will tell you the OS. Some OS have not been deconstructed, so you may have to grab a BIN from a supported OS that's closest to your combination. I had to use a 2004 OS for my friend's 2003.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Bear in mind that VATS cannot be completely disabled by just programming the PCM. VATS is in the BCM (which is not programmable) and it "prevents" theft by removing the fuel enable signal to the PCM and also removing the ground to the starter relay. The PCM can be programmed to ignore the lack of fuel enable signal but you have to physically rewire the starter relay ground to get around that part of VATS. And even then you will still have the security light in the instrument panel on all the time. VATS is best disabled using a VATS bypass based on substituting resistors in the circuit for the one in the ignition key because it takes care of all aspects (including the light) at once while still being easily reversible should the need ever arise.
The following users liked this post:
Tony_J (04-11-2024)

Quick Reply: ECU tuning and VATS delete