Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Accessory Switch Position quit

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accessory Switch Position quit

I purchased a 2000 WS6 and I have noticed that there isn't any power on the accessory key position. Where you insert the key and turn back toward the steering wheel.
Nothing will come on in this position. I have replaced the original ignition switch on the column but nothing changed. Otherwise everything else works as normal in the "ON" position, radio, gauges, lights
Is there a main "ACC" fuse somewhere?
Old 12-19-2021, 01:40 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

What, specifically, doesn't work in the ACCY position? I ask because it may be something else like the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit if it's the windows and radio (and convertible top if you have one) which are managed by the BCM.

But to answer your question...no, there isn't an accessory fuse. Fused battery power is provided to the ignition switch which routes it to three separate outputs depending on the switch position - ignition, accessory, and start. The circuits powered by those outputs have their own individual fuses.
Old 12-20-2021, 05:28 AM
Teching In

Default Switch

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
What, specifically, doesn't work in the ACCY position? I ask because it may be something else like the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit if it's the windows and radio (and convertible top if you have one) which are managed by the BCM.

But to answer your question...no, there isn't an accessory fuse. Fused battery power is provided to the ignition switch which routes it to three separate outputs depending on the switch position - ignition, accessory, and start. The circuits powered by those outputs have their own individual fuses.
When I get in the car and turn the switch to ACCY nothing powers on especially the radio which is what I want on to listen to while cleaning.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

But the radio works with the ignition on? That would indicate that the RAP circuit in the BCM is not the problem and neither are any of the fuses.

When you say you replaced the ignition switch... was that the ignition cylinder where the key is inserted or the actual switch which is farther down the steering column? Do you have a test light or multimeter? If so, put the ignition in the accessory position and check for 12V power on the brown wire. The switch connector has four wires... yellow (ignition crank output), red (battery power input), pink (ignition switched output), and brown (accessory output). If you don't have power on the brown wire with the switch in the ACCY position then the switch is the problem. That could be an internal electrical connection problem or it could be that the switch is binding mechanically when the rod from the ignition key cylinder is moved to the ACCY position.
Old 12-20-2021, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Default Switch

I will check it out. I replaced the electrical part of the switch because of intermittent no crank problem but the ACCY issue was already present when I bought the car. The radio stays on until I open the door when I turn off the car so it shouldn't be the BCM, and the radio works with IGN position. So confused.

Quick Reply: Accessory Switch Position quit