Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sub Crossover Wiring with Stock Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sub Crossover Wiring with Stock Stereo

I'm hooking up a single 10" sub and amp. My head-unit is stock, so no RCA jacks to get the signal to the amp. So I ordered a LCI2 converter. The plan is to tap into the rear speakers for a signal. My questions therefore are.....

1. I'm told the speaker wires in tap into need to be FULL RANGE. Are either of the speakers in the rear hatch full range (the tweeter or mid wires)?

2. Since I am hooking up only (1) sub do I only need to pull a signal from one speaker or should I still pull a signal from both the left and right speaker?

Thank so much!
Old 03-17-2022, 07:38 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

1. The 4" speaker in the hatch area receives full range signal from the Monsoon amp in both Camaros and Firebirds. The hatch tweeter (Firebirds only) receives full range signal directly from the head unit but there is an inline passive high pass filter before the speaker so you'd have to ensure you picked up signal before that. Personally, I would pull signal from the sail panel sub because it is already low pass filtered.
2. One side (closest) is quite sufficient.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming!

Quick Reply: Sub Crossover Wiring with Stock Stereo