Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Dashboard Lights Flickering

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dashboard Lights Flickering

I am not sure as to why this is happening. I thought maybe it was a ground issue but I am not too sure. When I turn the car on, all of the dash lights are on and functioning just fine. But give it a little time and they begin to just randomly flicker on and off. It inst due to bumps in the road or moving.I can park my car and turn the lights on, dash lights up just fine, couple seconds later, flicker on and off.I upgraded the bulbs to LED years ago, and I have had no issues with them at all. This is just a new random problem. I removed the gauge cluster, inspected the LEDs and everything. I am trying to upload a video clip of it but its not working for some reason. Any assistance on how to do that or ideas as to what is wrong please let me know.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

As a check of voltage fluctuation in the charging system, does it do the same thing if you turn on the lights without running the car?
Old 04-14-2022, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With or without the car running, the issue is the same. When the switch for the lights initially turns on, the entire dash lights up as it is supposed to. Give it a couple seconds and they start to shut off and shut back on in complete random order. This happens while the car is on, off, running, not running.
Old 04-15-2022, 10:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

That's good information. It definitely eliminates the charging system as the source of the problem. Next question... is it just the instrument cluster lights or do the HVAC controls lighting flicker as well? Also, were the HVAC lights replaced with LEDs or are they still incandescent? That will tell us if anything in the interior lighting system is involved or if it's strictly the instrument cluster.

At this point, I would suspect the dimmer switch. GM dimmer rheostats are known to go bad over time. Have you tried changing the position of the dimmer dial? Sometimes, if the dimmer is going, you can buy time by moving the dial either slightly brighter or slightly dimmer. It's not a long term solution, but if it reduces the problem then you have a clear indication that it was the source.

Quick Reply: Dashboard Lights Flickering