Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Headlights Always On

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights Always On

Hey everyone I have a 98 camaro and as the title explains, my auto headlights are malfunctioning and are always on, even during the day. Some things I've tried replacing include the ambient light sensor in the dash (replaced with GM 12450120), and I replaced the DRL module behind the dash with one from a firebird from a junkyard and I am still having the issue.

The original sensor's part number for the light sensor was GM 10261143, and that part is discontinued. 12450120 is a proper replacement correct? And would using a firebirds DRL module matter in a camaro?

I don't want to cut any wires and bypass the auto headlights preferably, and want to solve the issue. I have run out of ideas on what could be causing this and any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:41 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

The Firebird and Camaro DRL modules are the same (10407669). In the US, Firebirds don't have automatic headlights but the difference is in the wiring not the module... Firebirds have the two light sensor wires shorted together to simulate daylight all the time so the headlights only turn on using the switch.

The module determines darkness by resistance from the sensor. No resistance means bright light and infinite resistance (open circuit) means darkness. It sounds like you have a break in one or both of the two sensor wires causing it to think it's dark all the time.

Quick Reply: Headlights Always On