Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wire Clean up time under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Wire Clean up time under the hood

So after 17 years and several mods, while doing a cam swap, I guess if was time to clean up some wiring under the hood.
Wasn't too bad initially but as I added a turbo, and supporting electronics it got out of hand on the driver side lol
So far it's coming along.

Anyone have any recommendations while im this far in? the heads litteraly just went on monday lol still waitin to out the coils back on. i think i need the coil harness that got sindged from a small fire. but its a pain to find without running into relocation harnesses lol

heres what i started with before i started my griffin rad and cam install. wires and hoses are just everywhere lol

nothing looks more like a mess than when you take something apart lol

heres the start of clean up. not tucking the wires under the fender, at least not yet, but the cable tucked in the corner is the racetronic power and ground, a fpr sensor wire, and the turbosmart solenoid wires. cleaned up the positives and separated the grounds to make it a little cleaner.

started rerouting the engine harness wires for sensors. getting some new loom and thermal tape for areas that a bit close to heat.

this stupid positive cable is annoying. its too short and i hate it running in front of the engine like this. i was gonna try the fuse box holder delete, but in moving the fuse boxes, too far and made the cable too tight to tuck behind the griffin rad. i did manage to tuck the pusher fan harness relays neatly next to fuse box and then hide the fan harness pretty well.

the wires in front are the meth injection trigger and pump wires. the old gground wire to the alternator is a bit long now lol need to fix that too. the alt single trigge wire is rediculius too lol but its coming along lol
Old 06-16-2022, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

If you get some GM side post adapter terminals (can find them online or at basically any car audio shop) and some copper ring terminals, as well as some decent 4ga wire you could remove the factory power wire running to the fuse box and make your own. Did it in my Z28 and it made wire clean up a whole lot easier. Same thing with the starter wire (just be sure to put some sort of heat wrap on it where it's near the exhaust).

Depending on how crazy you want to go cleaning up the wiring, you're looking at re-doing some of the aftermarket stuff. If you plan your runs beforehand you can make everything look pretty damn neat.

Also, avoid electrical tape at all costs, if you want to tape something up Tessa makes a heat resistant tape that won't just melt into goo the first time the underhood temps exceed 120.
The following users liked this post:
JoshuaGrooms83 (06-16-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

yep! I've ordered some thermal electrical tape, and I'm using DEI thermal tape for really hot areas like the water temp sensor on the side of the drivers head. wrapped about 4 inches worth up the wiring before transitioning to split loom for the rest back into the main harness.

I'm gonna look into that positive cable being moved too. honestly I'm thinking of just relocating the battery in the truck in the spare tire well. this will free up some space for catch cans, a meth punp and tank, and some other stuff too.
Old 06-17-2022, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

did some relooming and wire coving today. took off a bunch of old loom, and rewrapped some with braided loom.

thermal cover for the starter positive and ground between the wheelwell and manifold

some rewrap on the alternator ground and rewraped the showing parts of the injector harness

rewrapped the injector harnesses and all the sensor harnesses

started putting the boost soleniod, meth switch, step, and fpr in order.

hiding the 2step module and wires a bit.

Quick Reply: Wire Clean up time under the hood