Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Android touchscreen steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Android touchscreen steering wheel controls

I was recently finishing up the install on my 02 Camaro and remembered how I got the controls working on 2000 Land Rover Discovery and it works the same on my Camaro. Both have very similar steering wheel controls which basically consist of a set of switches wired in series with resistors. On the Disco both ends are connected to the radio, on the Camaro one end of the factory setup goes to a fused powersource and the other end goes to the radio.

Disco:

Camaro

In any case, the cheap Android units we all see on Amazon or Aliexpress are looking for one end to be connected to ground and the other end to be connected to the radio. One the Disco you just pick one of the connection wires and wire it to the ground wire, on the Camaro I just pulled the fuse in the fusebox and stuck a spade terminal connected to a wire in the steering wheel side of the fuse holder and grounded it. Voila' - working steering wheel controls.

I suspect many other late 90's and early 00's used a simple resistor setup for the steering wheel controls before they started communicating via canbus, so this technique should work well for anything similar. Hopefully this helps someone out.

Quick Reply: Android touchscreen steering wheel controls