Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Ditching the monsoon system, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ditching the monsoon system, some questions

Hello all,

Replaced my factory head unit with a Pioneer double din. Also need to replace the speakers. Rather than buy proprietary speakers, I am going to just toss the entire monsoon system and put a better amp and sub along with coaxial speakers. Has anyone tried to use the existing wiring as a drag to pull new speaker wire through the factory conduit?

Would I still need to use shallow speakers if I'm tossing all the factory ones? I'm not sure if the original design necessitates this.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

When I got my TA the Monsoon amp was gone but the wires were still there. The loom holding them (passenger side) also contains the antenna lead/power and wires for the shock sensor. Trying to pull through just the multitude of speaker wires runs the risk of getting snagged on any of these. If you want to use the loom for the speaker wired to the sail (and possibly the rear deck if you keep those), you will still need to run across the body to the drivers side (or use the loom there). Best bet is still going to be getting all the old wires out and running them through the conduit the old fashioned way. They make some great tools for this now (Wire Loom Cable Insertion Tool for 3/8" to 1/2" - Model CM08). The Monsoon system was speaker level in/out so there are a lot of wires in the passenger loom, best to just open it up and get rid of them all.

I assume you will be powering the speakers from the head unit? The sail panels will need shallower speakers, not sure by how much. Good websites will show what fits in the doors and sails and if they need any modifications/spacers or not. I go to some website and search what fits then search for that model of speaker to find the best deal. If you will be running an amp then you will need to decide where the power and input leads will go.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 172 Likes on 133 Posts

Just use a few ft of 6 gauge as a fish. That worked well for me.

Quick Reply: Ditching the monsoon system, some questions