Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiring help needed 2001 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2024, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring help needed 2001 Firebird

I am gutting the interior of my racecar and have this wiring mess I want gone. It’s basically for the power stuff on the drivers door (and passenger door). I can’t seem to find how to disconnect it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m going to throw it away, so if there’s more I can get rid of, even better.

Old 06-30-2024, 08:31 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

There is a rubber bellows that acts as a conduit for the wire harness going from the body to the door. The harness is physically taped to the bellows with electrical tape.

If I remember correctly, the tape is on the door side of the bellows. Just pull the bellows out of the door. That should expose the electrical tape that binds the harness to the bellows. Remove that tape and then the harness should pull freely back into the car body.
Old 06-30-2024, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
There is a rubber bellows that acts as a conduit for the wire harness going from the body to the door. The harness is physically taped to the bellows with electrical tape.

If I remember correctly, the tape is on the door side of the bellows. Just pull the bellows out of the door. That should expose the electrical tape that binds the harness to the bellows. Remove that tape and then the harness should pull freely back into the car body.
Hey, thank you very much. You don’t know how frustrating wiring can be. It’ll drive you crazy.
Old 07-01-2024, 11:46 AM
Teching In

So, if I just cut all the wires on the door side(and wrapped them) would that work temporarily?
Old 07-02-2024, 07:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

No. Don't cut the wires. You could get a bunch of shorts and cause a hell of a headace. For a temporary solution, just pull that rubber bellows out of the door and then pull the whole bellows and cable assembly back into the car body. You can coil it up there and zip tie it out of the way. If you are worried about the holes left in the door and body from the bellows, just cover with duct tape temporarily. (BTW - untaping the bellows from the cable bundle just takes 2 minutes and you can probably pop the empty bellows back in faster than you can tape things up temporarily.)
Old 07-02-2024, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Got it. Thanks

Quick Reply: Wiring help needed 2001 Firebird