Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 06:17 PM
Rok
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what do you guys think?

I went to a local car audio place today to check out what they offered as an upgrade to my front speakers.
They offered these.
http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/...=104&p_main=10
and I also wanted them to throw in some sound proofing around all my speakers and they quoted me a price of 348.34.
they also said they could mount the tweeter infront of the speaker so that nothing in the car has to be modified. How does that price sound to everyone?
Thanks
Rok
Old 11-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Ok, first off, i bought that component set for $100 off EBAY so you can do it too. It's most common for installation of a component set to cost $75 so you're up to $175 so far without shipping. So i guess if you want to pay $165 for some soundproofing around your speakers go for it. Second off, like i said before, i have this component set in my car right now. There is a big and now infamous problem with changing out four ohm speakers like those alpines with the two ohm factory speakers that come stock. If you have the monsoon still in your car, the new alpines will be getting half of the power that the stock speakers got due to the change in resistance. This really sucks. If you're gonna spend this much money anyways i think a good idea would be to buy these http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSCXS62. They are top of the line quality and i know where you can get them for $279 shipped. And best of all they have two ohm impedance so they will be getting all of the power that the stock speaker got unlike the alpines. PM if you have any questions, now that i've already messed up on my stereo, this is the route i wished i would have gone.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can go to lowe's, probably around aisle 50 in the roofing section, and find some stuff called "peel and seal." it comes in 6" by 25' (12.5 ft^2) and is the exact same thing as dynomat. in all actuality, i prefer this stuff over dynomat. i've installed both, and while my hands were cut the hell up from the dynomat, i only cut myself once with the lowe's stuff. it's 1/4 the cost too. it worked well. smells worse, mostly like asphalt, but it's not terribly bad and the smell does go away.

without a sub though, don't waste your money on the sound deadener. it's not going to make enough of a difference to justify the cost IMO.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:16 AM
Launching!

just depends on how lazy you are.I got a set of Alpine 176-a components off e-bay 130 shippid bought sail panel speakers for 125.So I piad less for 2 sets of speakers than you will for one.