Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Dimmer Switch Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dimmer Switch Trouble

I can't get my lights to switch to high beam. When I pull back on the turn signal I don't feel a click. Before I go tearing into it, anybody else ever have this problem?
Old 01-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Looked into the problem today. I verified that my dimmer switch will click if I actuate it with a screw driver, the rod is not travelling far enough when actuated by the turn signal. Up by the turn signal, between it and the dash, I popped off the plastic cover and then I popped out the inner cover. The problem is that the junction between the rod and the turn signal actuator moves out away from the steering column as I pull the turn signal back, reducing the distance that the rod travels at the dimmer switch end. The inner cover (plastic) is supposed to prevent this it seems. I put it all back together and I can hold in towards the steering column on the outer cover and operate the dimmer switch and it works. If this turns out to be unsafe while driving, I guess I'll have to go to plan B, which I have yet to formulate. Looking at this contraption, I can't be the only one who has experienced this problem.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Teching In

How did this work out for you? I have the same problem and have been searching and have been left empty handed. Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Maybe the high beam bulbs need to be replaced?
Old 07-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Teching In

If I hold in towards the steeing column on the cover it will switch ok. I don't use my high beams enough for it to be an issue. I would figure out something to put in there to hold the end of the rod/actuator junction more towards the steering column if I were going to try to fix it.
Michael
Old 08-10-2006, 05:30 AM
TECH Regular

Mine has had this problem for years, if I really want them on I can snap it really fast, it will probably break off on my hand one day.