Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Big enough head unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big enough head unit

Hey everyone. Does anyone know if they make a head unit for our T/A's that fills up the dash more than these other aftermarket ones. The ones I have seen are much smaller than the stock radio and have that black plastic peice as the fill in. My friend has a 2002 chevy truck that has a big radio kinda like ours and he just bought a new head unit that is the same size as the old one and it looks great. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Alpine used to make two models that fit perfect. I have the CDA-D852 and they also made a CDA-D855.

These units are like 4 years old but I love mine. Nice large display, interface for a CD-Changer and you can get an adapter to use the CD-Changer port as an Aux-In for an ipod or other MP3 player.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

Default What about this one?

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIODEHP47DH?vq_id=none

Does it need to be a 1 1/2 DIN or a 2 DIN. It says the 1 1/2 DIN will fit without modification or special install kit.

Never mind I looked around and I need a 1 1/2 DIN.

Not sure witch one I like better, the alpine looks nicer and you can change the illumination color to amber to match the rest of the interior lighting(which is a big deal to me, I like things to match.

But the pioneer has more bells and whistles and has sub outputs. Which I havn't decided if I am going to need them yet or not. Maybe someone can help with that.

I am going to run one of these head units with all new speaker, keeping the sail panel speakers as subs(but better ones of course) and running one amp for the front 4 speaker and rear 4 speaker, and one amp for the 2 (i belive 6.5inch subs, probrably JL or Fosgate. I would think I would need a sub out for this setup, correct or not. And im talking about doing it the right way. Thanks.

Last edited by DreamState23x; 02-11-2005 at 09:00 PM. Reason: idiot
Old 02-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Launching!

You can do it using a 5 channel amp. 2 channels for the front, 2 for rear and fifth for the two subs.You can do it without a sub out put like I have. I am running the rears and sub off the same channel. Just keep the gain on the sub amp adjusted up so it gets more power. I have a Fosgate 550watt amp dedicated to the sub and an Alpine 4 channel for fronts/rears.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't seen anything remotely close within the last couple years, so I elected to modify my trim plate.

See what you think? Page 2-3 of my webpage (yes, Pioneer)
Old 02-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Pioneer made two 1.5DIN units. I think they stopped making them though (or, at least they are harder to get). They used to be available at BestBuy and CircuitCity a year or 2 ago, but not now.

DEH-P47DH
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn..._36629,00.html

DEH-P77DH
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn..._33719,00.html
Old 02-12-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Regular

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies everyone, I wasnt to run a dedicated amp for the subs, So I was thinking it might work better if I used an amp for the 2 front and rear speaker(4-channel) an amp for the subs(2-channel) and ran all 4 tweeters off the head unit. How well do you think that would work out?

About the subs, which would be better for this setup(excepting the small amount of air space in the sail panels) 6.5 fosgates or W0's?