Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

poly-fill

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 07:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poly-fill

Just a quick question. I'm replacing all my speakers. If you look at my other post(I think it was Speaker suggestions) you can see what all im gonna be using. But for the sail panel speakers I will be running JL 6W0's(off an amp of course) Ive never looked inside the sail panel, Is the hole inside of it open, like all the way to the roof and all the way to the floor? I was wondering about filling it with poly fill when I put the speakers in. Never really used polly fill in a speaker application and not sure if I would benefit from this or not, just figured it might keep more of the sound coming out and not traveling throught th hole sail panel. Thanks(this question is a little vague but im not sure how to say what im thinking here)
Old 02-17-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

It is open on the rear side of the car. There is a piece of metal on the front half of the hole. I wish I had a picture to explain better, but you will see when you pull the speaker out. But the air space seems to go from floor to roof.

Poly fil does two things in an enclosure. It decreases waves bouncing around inside the box, and also makes the speaker think it is a bigger enclosure (due to the fact the waves takes longer to get from the woofer to the back wall and back to the woofer.

You are supposed to use 1 pound per square foot of air space.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

Default hmm

So doesn't sound like using would help any, besides keeping the sound from bouncing around the metal, which there is going to be dynamat in there anyway(well atleast as far as I can reach in there).
Old 02-17-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Dynomat is going to keep the sound from vibrating the metal around. You should try to use the dynomat and close up some of the holes in the panel. I am actually going to use the dynomat to make the encloser to the woofers specs and then fiberglass the inside of it to make the shell.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Use expanding foam and carve out what you want for a psuedo enclosure. Polyfill will do nothing for you in this application really.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

Default box

see that was why I was thinking about the fill, I didn't know if it would make the speaker think that it was in a make shift encloser. Does anyone know of a way to do that or how to make some sort of an enclosed area in the sail panel? Besides fiber glass, I have the know how to make something out of fiber glass.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by unredeemed
Use expanding foam and carve out what you want for a psuedo enclosure. Polyfill will do nothing for you in this application really.
I thought about expanding foam. Just not that experienced with it.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

Default hmm

Originally Posted by unredeemed
Might have to try to do something with the expanding foam that's a pretty good idea. Seems like it might be difficult to make it go across an open area tho. (from one wall to another wall with nothing underneath it. A to B.
A[---]B
A[ <--speaker
A[---]B
Old 02-17-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

If you have ever played with the stuff, it's nasty. Once it's in, it's hard to get out.

To get it to span two distances, you could use cardboard and a hot glue gun to make a support or frame. Then fill that void with the foam. Then use a knife of some sort to carve out what you want. It expands pretty quick, and hardens in minutes. Permanent within an hour I think.

The trick or should I say the proper thing to do would be to make a wooden baffle for the speaker to mount to. And that baffle should mount to something rigid in the car. The space behind the baffle will be the foam.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use masking tape as a backing. It'll work. Also that stuff is god aweful sticky. It sticks bad to everything.

Also Poly-Fill makes a box bigger because it traps the air inside the fill causing it to release it's energy and not become as heated.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Correction....I used polyfill and dynamat xtreme on my sail panels and let me tell you that it made a HUGE difference in the sound. The subs came to life and don't sound weak like they used to. Use the polyfill and notice the difference.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

Default sil panel

Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast
Correction....I used polyfill and dynamat xtreme on my sail panels and let me tell you that it made a HUGE difference in the sound. The subs came to life and don't sound weak like they used to. Use the polyfill and notice the difference.

What did you do just stuff the whole sail panel with the fill?
Old 02-20-2005, 03:47 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Be very careful with expanding foam. If used in a tight spot sometimes the middle of the foam will dry slower and continue to expand even after the outsides have dried and adhered to a panel. This will cause the foam to become trapped and have nowhere to release it's energy and will expand the panels. I have seen this on lots of old school buckets in my area. The use it in the trunk lids then next thing ya know there are all kinds of ripples in their metal trunk. LOL
Old 02-20-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

Default that sucks

Haha, yeah that would suck. I won't be using foam that was just one of the ideas, if my sail panel encloser idea doesn't work(see my other thread) then I will probrably try the polyfill.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DreamState23x
What did you do just stuff the whole sail panel with the fill?
Almost, and it worked out great. I didn't pack it in there tight, but the loose packing of it worked perfect.