Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

turning up the alternator.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005 | 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default turning up the alternator.

i want to adjust how much voltage my alternator produces.

the car is a 98 and has the 12v reference single wire to the alternator

what are the other tabs in the alternator plug for? control signals i bet.. show me how to use them.

i know there are things like

https://www.casperselectronics.com/M...Category_Code=

but i want a **** to be able to adjust how much gets put out not a set 2.2, or better yet have a linear increase with system voltage vs. a rpm etc.
Old 02-25-2005 | 12:04 AM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

Ohio generator. You can't tweak the stock ones if you could the diode array is a POS and would die shortly after.
Old 02-26-2005 | 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

You aren't going to get away with tweetking the stock Alt. The internal Regulator won't be able to handle the changes well and will burn out.

Ohio is a Great Manufacture of alts. Summit also has Variable Voltage Alts also.
Old 02-27-2005 | 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

oh yea? well explain to me how the volt booster i linked to works then?
Old 02-27-2005 | 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can a Stock LS1 be spun to 7000 RPM or Higher? If so How long will it last?
The Answer to your own question is the same deduction as the questions above.

Also You can Spin a Turbo Higher to achieve more boost, but a a cost to durability. Same thing with a alternator.

Most of the Higher Performing Alternator have out-board Regulators for a reason. HEAT. You can push the Alternator using the kit you found, but how long will the Alternator last.

Last edited by Richiec77; 02-27-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-27-2005 | 06:31 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
oh yea? well explain to me how the volt booster i linked to works then?
Most volt boosters work by bypassing the regulator briefly during WOT. Its an uncontrolled state to operate your car in and it usually causes flaky things to happen or burn something out over time. The Turbo Buick crowd used to use them early on to raise fuel pump voltage primarily, before powerful fuel pumps could be obtained. Nobody would recommend them anymore. Casper's is a good company (I have several of their products) but that product is outmoded.

What are you trying to achieve? Maybe there is another way to do what ever it is you are trying to do.
Old 02-27-2005 | 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

just want a couple more volts to the ignition and all the volts i can get to the fuel pumps

i am running out of flow at 13v with these pumps and am not putting another pump in the system.

i looked into getting a msd pump booster and kb boost a pump but neither can power two fuel pumps per the manufacturer, and refuse to pay 500 bux to run two 100 buck pumps.
Old 02-27-2005 | 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BJM
Most volt boosters work by bypassing the regulator briefly during WOT. Its an uncontrolled state to operate your car in and it usually causes flaky things to happen or burn something out over time. The Turbo Buick crowd used to use them early on to raise fuel pump voltage primarily, before powerful fuel pumps could be obtained. Nobody would recommend them anymore. Casper's is a good company (I have several of their products) but that product is outmoded.

What are you trying to achieve? Maybe there is another way to do what ever it is you are trying to do.
Perfect explination. What is the Current Draw frrom the 2 Pumps you are using?

You can Build an Adjustable Voltage regulator or I might have time to build one for you. Just have to know what kind of Draw those 2 pumps have. You just need a Volatge Regulator and a couple of resitors to set it. I have a link I'll post up in a second.

Last edited by Richiec77; 02-27-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2005 | 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.electronics-lab.com/downl...egulators.html

http://www.rason.org/Projects/regulator/regulator.htm

Just Do a Google Search for Adjustable Voltage Reulators. Not to Hard to do as you can see. If you need help reading the Schematics let me know. I'm going to be really busy for the next Month, but I'll help when I can. You can Pretty much build one of these from a Radio Shack. The Only consideration is HOW MUCH DO those Pumps Draw. Current wise. That will say how big of a Rgulator you would need.

Last edited by Richiec77; 02-27-2005 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2005 | 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

i have each pump fused 15 amps.. from all the graphs i have seen i have never seen one draw more than 15 under normal operating pressures... that would be 30 amps total.
Old 03-01-2005 | 05:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Just Do a Google Search for Adjustable Voltage Reulators. Not to Hard to do as you can see. If you need help reading the Schematics let me know. I'm going to be really busy for the next Month, but I'll help when I can. You can Pretty much build one of these from a Radio Shack. The Only consideration is HOW MUCH DO those Pumps Draw. Current wise. That will say how big of a Rgulator you would need.

Adjustable Voltage Regulators. Thats exactly what I was about to suggest. Fairly simplistic design. The only problem is building it to hold the current to run your entire car. Might be best to isolate whatever your trying to conrol and just control that (weither its a fuel pump or whatever)