Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

bass triggering airbag light?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bass triggering airbag light?

funny thing, i'm almost done with my stereo. enough to at least hear/tune it and the other day my airbag light starts acting up... it will stay on some times, other times it will do the normal blink then turn off.

now before some of you tell me i screwed something up with the airbag wiring let me assure you i didnt. i was extreeeeeemly carefull not to disturb any of the factory wiring.

is it possible to have an airbag sensor go bad from bass shaking it around? i'm kinda freaked to even turn it up anymore, it would really hurt to get smacked in the face with that thing...
Old 03-01-2005, 05:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its almost impossible for an airbag sensor to go bad. Its a metal ball in special gel. When the velocity of the car comes to a stop at >30 mph it make contact completing the circuit. Im almost POSITIVE you have tapped the factory air bag wireing OR you have a ground loop. Did you use a wireing harness? Go back, trace your wires. If you find nothing relocate your grounds to bare metal.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

i installed everything perfectly and uber cleanly, besides wiring the head unit to the existing harness all other connections do not interfere with the factory wiring. i learned my lesson long ago that tapping into wiring creates all kinds of drama...

last night, after checking grounds and whatnot i found it was simply a weak connection at the airbag sensor under the console. i literally just pushed on it and wiggled it under pressure of my fingers and the light went off. this weekend i'll take the console off and inspect/clean the connections to the sensor to see if anything is odd, but i'm pretty sure that it was just barely not making a decent enough connection and triggering the airbag light.

thank god, i was dreading takin my rig to a dealer and having some potential idjit poking around the work i just spent over 4 months on.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:13 AM

Default Bass sets off abs light

In my SUV anything over about 160 decibles triggers the airbags to disable and the light comes on. I am running 3 separate alternators to separate power cells so the stereo does not interfere with the voltage available for the airbags system. This is possible from extreme shaking/vibration. I can ride around all day with the stereo at lower volumes and the the airbags function properly. The second I turn it up to extremely high volume the service airbags message appears and the light comes on.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 97 Likes on 86 Posts

And the reason you felt the need to tell us that on a 14 year old thread is??
Old 06-04-2019, 03:21 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

We'll lock this one up from future comment.

@Brian Madson - Welcome to the site. Unless you have a current problem related to an old thread, please focus your comments to currently activie topics.