Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need Help:Newb to Stereos

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help:Newb to Stereos

Alright i got a pair of Polk Audio 10" Subs for VERY cheap fro ma friend. I know nothing about stereos what so ever and said i would never have any "thump" except for the stock, but they were cheap so i siad what the hell. The Subs say they are the EX Series II with 4 ohms. Everything in my car is stock, stereo wise, with the Monsoon Head Unit. Im gonna by me some boxes and put them in the back. I guess i need an Amp now then i guess but i dont want the hell to get. I aint talkin brand, just like how many watts and stuff, for ill by one off some friend if they are selling one and it will work. Alos do i need some wire Kit? Basically i just need a list of waht i need minus the Subs, which i already have. I want to still be able to use all 6 of the stock speakers still also. ANY help at all will help since i dont know a thing bout any of this. Thanks in advance
Old 03-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Ginger Hater

Well.....you will need:

1. Amp 150w x 2:this will give you 150 watts per sub. (this was what another guy was using to power his EX subs.)

2. Amp Kit : you will need this to get the power you need to the amp, however, i have never had to hook an amp up to a stock head unit, i know someone on here has done it, and they can give you the correct procedure.

3. Get some good box's, make sure they don't leak, and make sure they look "right" in the back of the camaro.

if you have any more questions, just ask.

-jon
Old 03-03-2005, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

So a 300 Watt Amp is the same thing then huh. Yeah and also i didnt know if u was able to wire the amp into the head unit. So not being descriptive or anything i run the wire out of the head unit to the amp then from the amp to the subs? any other help would be great. Once again Thanks alot
Old 03-04-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brad98maro
So a 300 Watt Amp is the same thing then huh. Yeah and also i didnt know if u was able to wire the amp into the head unit. So not being descriptive or anything i run the wire out of the head unit to the amp then from the amp to the subs? any other help would be great. Once again Thanks alot
Little more complicated than that.

You will need
1. Adapter from Radio Shack or stereo place to run aftermarket amp on stock deck.
2. Amp wire kit w/ Power wire, ground wire, remote wire, RCA wires, and of course speaker wire.

Run power from the battery of the car to the amp. Ground the amp on a paint free chassis ground (bare metal). Run the remote wire from the deck to the remote location on the amp.

The adapter piece will wire into a pair of speaker wires and will have a pair of RCA jacks on the end. You are just converting the sound signal from speaker wire to RCA. Then run the RCA cables to the amp. Connect the speaker wire from the amp to the subs and of course mount it all where you want.