Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

?Infinity Components in Camaro Monsoon?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 12:13 AM
BLF
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?Infinity Components in Camaro Monsoon?

Ok. Here is another monsoon question that has probably been answered. I have the Alpine CDA-9831 head unit on a factory monsoon system. The front speakers are blown. I already have in my possession a set of Infinity Reference 6.5 components. How would these sound in place of the front speakers and what would be the proper way to wire them? Would I use the crossover and tweeter? I also have an Alpine V12 50wX2 amp. Would it be benificial to use that amp somewhere? I had these in another vehicle. Any help I would appreciate. I'm just tired of going through all the threads trying to find what I need.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well for best sound I say trash the factory amp and wires. Throw the infinity's in and run them off the Alpine amp "they will like the power" and the rear speakers off the head unit! Nothing will blow and you will be running 3 times the factory watts thought the speakers but it is up in the air how long the rear "stock" speaker hang in.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:11 AM
Launching!

You can run the Infinity's off the factory connections but you'll be running them at 2ohms when they really want 4. Sure, they'll sound better than the original factory speakers but they will not sound as good as they could. Of course running new wires to your doors is sort of a bitch so it's your call whether you want to do that or not.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigBadWolf
You can run the Infinity's off the factory connections but you'll be running them at 2ohms when they really want 4. Sure, they'll sound better than the original factory speakers but they will not sound as good as they could. Of course running new wires to your doors is sort of a bitch so it's your call whether you want to do that or not.

Nope. The factory Speakers are 2 Ohms. So the AMP see's 2 ohms not the Speakers see 2 ohms. So the 4 ohm Infinities would get less power from the Factory Amp and wouldn't sound too good.

I Would run all new speaker wires if you can. I believe this is what you were getting at BigBadWolf. This will help make it eassier to upgrade and makes the instalation easier. I would go and run 2 sets of 16-14ga wire in each door. You would then be ready to power up each component (mid-range and tweeter) seperatly in the future if you wanted to.

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
Well for best sound I say trash the factory amp and wires. Throw the infinity's in and run them off the Alpine amp "they will like the power" and the rear speakers off the head unit! Nothing will blow and you will be running 3 times the factory watts thought the speakers but it is up in the air how long the rear "stock" speaker hang in.
Just What I would say to do. This is Your best option.

Hows life treating you 2FAST4U?
Old 04-10-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just gret thanks!
Old 04-11-2005, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Nope. The factory Speakers are 2 Ohms. So the AMP see's 2 ohms not the Speakers see 2 ohms. So the 4 ohm Infinities would get less power from the Factory Amp and wouldn't sound too good.
Ooops... early morning screw up. Next time I'll hold my posts until I fully wake up.

Anyway, like Richie said... let's assume the Monsoon amp now "claims" to put out 100watts @ 2 ohms to that channel. You simply replace the door speakers with the Infinitys using stock wiring. You are now pulling 4ohms from the AMP and your power is cut to 50 "claimed" watts.

If you ever get the chance, physically pick up a Monsoom amp which is running 6 channels. Then pick up a decent 4 channel amp. The Monsoon will weigh around 1/3 the weight. This is NOT a miracle of modern electronics that does this... it's cheezy electronics!
Old 04-14-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

But how do you do it?

My buddy has a monsoon in his camaro as well and he picked up some cheap low line Infinities the same time I bought my Diamonds. He doesnt want to upgrade the monsoon at all. So a new amp is out of the question. He bought the components to replace his blown Monsoons.

How do we go about installing these? I was just going to solder in the new mid into the stock mid wiring but then I thought about it... what about the tweet? It has nothing protecting it from mids if we dont use the crossover that was included.

Does the stok have an inline crossover to protect the factory tweets??? So could just connect his tweets and mids to the stock wiring w/o the included crossover?
Old 04-14-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

On factory systems the amp has crossovers per power wire. and everything is built into the amp.
***Important questions***
Where are these speakers going?
And what speakers are this?
Factory head unit(radio)?
Old 04-14-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would tap both the tweeter amd mid signal from the monsoon amp and have those as the crossover input and then just hook up the speakers normaly. I did that on my 03' 1500 truck with infinity speakers. I can't remeber if there are two wires in the door or one that does both but I am 90%sure that there is one and the back of the factory speaker does both and has a built on filter for the tweeter. So it is a simple install. But you will be missing alot of sound as it will be running in 4ohm and not 2.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

I would tap both the tweeter amd mid signal from the monsoon amp and have those as the crossover input and then just hook up the speakers normaly. I did that on my 03' 1500 truck with infinity speakers. I can't remeber if there are two wires in the door or one that does both but I am 90%sure that there is one and the back of the factory speaker does both and has a built on filter for the tweeter. So it is a simple install. But you will be missing alot of sound as it will be running in 4ohm and not 2.
You cant bi-amp with these components. There are 4 wires on the back of the stock speaker. 2 going to the mid and amp and the other power the tweet off the stock deck I assume.

I thought about just running the crossovers on the tweets with the deck wires origionally intended for the tweets but i'm kinda stumped if thats a good idea since the crossovers do some imp matching internally.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

So if you where to remove the speaker there is 2 sets of wires in the door Tweeter and mid? I would meter the speaker out of the car see the resistance. But it would work great Bi-Amped. Play it save and meter it and do the math.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

So if you where to remove the speaker there is 2 sets of wires in the door Tweeter and mid? I would meter the speaker out of the car see the resistance. But it would work great Bi-Amped. Play it save and meter it and do the math.
Yup. His is exactly the same as mine. Mine has 1 plug with 4 wires in it going to each from speaker. 2 for the tweet and 2 for the mid. I think we are going to use the crossover on the tweet only and let the monsoon do its think for the mid.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrandonSS
Yup. His is exactly the same as mine. Mine has 1 plug with 4 wires in it going to each from speaker. 2 for the tweet and 2 for the mid. I think we are going to use the crossover on the tweet only and let the monsoon do its think for the mid.
Ok so the line in the door to the speakers is Full pass or high pass so just unplug the stock conector on stock speaker. Buy speaker harness adapters that will wire into the input on the crossover and woofer out and tweeter out and DONE. the crossover will see the audio input and split it up to the tweeter and mid.

Quick Reply: ?Infinity Components in Camaro Monsoon?