Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

77 seville system

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 77 seville system

I have to do a full system in a 1977 cadillac seville and the owner wants most of it (i.e. headunit) to look stock. Is there a new headunit out that is made to look stock in old cars? I was thinking of just mounting a new stereo low at the bottom of the dash. The owner also wants xm and ipod connection.

I dont think adding **** to the factory radio will work.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Use an FM modulator. That would allow you to leave the factory stereo intact, and just add components around it. Of course, this means that there will be no direct control of the ipod, but your customer seems to have his priorities, which I can understand. Replacing the factory stereo in a '77 caddy requires cutting the dash where the stock 2-shaft radio now lives.

Beyond that, there are manufacturers of aftermarket HUs that do make 2-shaft stereos, although I've never worked with any and have no idea what they sound like - last time I checked though, they were pricey.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

Will the sound quality still be good though if it is all fm modulated? Remember this is a full system so he wants subs and amps, but no real visible parts of the car to be modified. I'm wondering if i can use those adapters to add RCA preamp outs to a unit that old. I remember seeing on tv though a cd player that fit in old cars but still had the old factory look, just new components inside.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:07 PM
Launching!

FM modulators sound better today than when they first came out - the limiting factor here is his factory stereo. Yeah, it'll sound WAY better with the new system, but from a purist's standpoint, it will never be as good as it could be by just replacing the HU. I only make that comment because I'm an audiophile, have worked around some sort of music/pro audio/HiFi all my life, and look for stuff like that. Many folks would never notice the difference - it's something that you'd want to discuss with him. Personally, I'd do it if it were my car, because I'd want to keep the stock appearance in something that old, but I'd go the extra mile to route wires properly to avoid any noise or interference. It sounds like you've got some familiarity with all this, so I'm sure you probably already knew that.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

I found some FM adapters that plug directly into the antenna wire to modulate the signal for XM and the Ipod. What do you think? Also for bass, i don't want to break the foundation of the car, and the owner will whip my *** if it rattles. I just got a text message from the owner saying "no cheap ****, i want the best". I'm sure he doesn't want the actual 'best' but i was just going to do a powered enclosed sub like the infinity basslink, i guess i'll have to rethink that. But how do you tihnk the car will hold up to some bass, i'll be damned if going to lay any dynomat. i also have to do the owners 91 4runner, but it is mostly upgrading an existing aftermarket setup.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you could talk him into mounting a New HU in a different spot. Like the glovebox. Or you could make a new counsil piece to put the HU in and have a cover to match the style of the interior. I don't remeber what these interiors look like off hand. I'll see if I can find some pics of it online and then I could give you some better Ideas.

Man. I wish Kenwood still made the 3000'd series **** radios. THey had the ability to fit in places like this. Maybe there is one on E-bay.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...765531828&rd=1

This is the KRC-2006. The 3006 had Changer Controls. This might work for him, but it still doesn't have extra input for XM or the I-Pod.

I believe the best choice is to mount a new HU under the dash and build a false panel to keep it out of site.

He wants it stock looking for the sake of the cars looks Right!??
Old 04-11-2005, 12:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by spy2520
I just got a text message from the owner saying "no cheap ****, i want the best".
Ahh, yes - I remember working with folks like this.any case, I'd venture to say that anything you do will make SOMETHING rattle, be it license plate, chrome trim, roof, etc. So he'll need to expect that if he wants bass (correct me if I'm wrong his requirements). As for the equipment rattling, as long as you get quality components and install them at least half-way decent, you'll have no problems.

I think what I'd do (based on a few years' experience getting paid to do this) is get a box with some 12's, a couple decent amps and some good speakers. Run one amp to the subs, and a four-channel to fronts and rears. A word of advice though, don't run the amps bridged or at 2 ohms, and don't have the gains all the way up. If I'm right about the type of client you have, he'll most likely be showing it off alot, and the last thing you want is for the system to have a problem in the middle of a 'demo' with his boys watching. Add to that the fact that no matter what happens with the system, you are the one responsible, so make sure it's as bullet-proof as possible.

If I remember correctly, back in '77 the stereos were common-ground, which means you'll be running speaker wire EVERYWHERE 'cuz the stereo only has the positive speaker leads coming out of it. If I'm wrong, there should be no need to chase wire throughout the car - just re-use the factory stuff.

Again, the fm modulated stuff will most likely be more than adequate for his needs - if he were really interested in fidelity, he would likely pick his own equipment after listening to it himself. The fact that he's basically handing you the project (and hopefully a wad of ca$h) means to me that he is more interested in bass than anything.

Last edited by Richiec77; 04-11-2005 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daley
If I remember correctly, back in '77 the stereos were common-ground, which means you'll be running speaker wire EVERYWHERE 'cuz the stereo only has the positive speaker leads coming out of it. If I'm wrong, there should be no need to chase wire throughout the car - just re-use the factory stuff.
I believe you are right about the common ground.

Also Talk him into DYNAMAT. Sounds like he'll need it.

Last edited by Richiec77; 04-11-2005 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:32 AM
Launching!

So you know where I'm coming from, eh Richie?
Old 04-11-2005, 11:49 AM
12 Second Club

I was originally thinking about a new hu in a different location. That might work. i already plan on doing alot of wiring because his 91 4runner was wired by a dumbass and all that **** needs to be checked out, i'll probably find alot of "electrical tape wire splices." I want to avoid dynamat at all costs just because i did it with my car and hated doing it. I had a friend that had a 90 or 91 seville before, he had 2 12s and the trunk rattled bad.

The real problem is that i wont get a chance to look at the interior of the car before the planned date for me to do it, so i dont have any ideas on exactly where to mount the radio. Was GM using little plastic pieces to hold door panels and stuff on back then? I'd expect thousands of screws to remove all over the place in this car.

One more problem. In one of his cars, he already uses an FM modulator for his ipod i believe. It is probably either a wireless one or a cassette tape adapter thing. The ones i found plug directly into the antenna wire so it will be in line. There is one for XM and Ipod. Do you think these will be enough of a difference (SQ wise) to switch from whatever he is using now? He says he doesnt want to keep using that stuff.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

ttt...

In one of his cars, he already uses an FM modulator for his ipod i believe. It is probably either a wireless one or a cassette tape adapter thing. The ones i found plug directly into the antenna wire so it will be in line. There is one for XM and Ipod. Do you think these will be enough of a difference (SQ wise) to switch from whatever he is using now? He says he doesnt want to keep using that stuff.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Launching!

His only option is an fm modulator if he's gonna keep the factory deck. That is, unless you hide an aftermarket deck somewhere like you mentioned. If you go aftermarket, you open up a whole bunch of possibilities for yourself. Too bad you can't get to the car to plan this better - would he understand that if you brought it to him? Might help if you take him shopping (either to the store or online). At least then, he'll be more aware of what is available, what it costs, and what is possible.