Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

repairing factory monsoon

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005 | 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Default repairing factory monsoon

I have a 2001 TA and my damn monsoon is really pissing me off. I can play a cd for like 20 minutes (doesn't matter how bumpy the roads are)....then it starts skipping on the slightest bumps eventually like five minutes later it will eject the disc and flash error 20. It does not matter if i use a burnt disc or a actual cd. I got a quote from the dealer for 200 to fix it, which is crazy. I really have NO desire to get a aftermarket headunit. Is there anyway I can fix this on my own? Or is there anyone on this site that knows someone that fixes them cheap? Here's a list of what the codes mean: http://mods.firebirdv6.com/stereo.html#FBEAQ_14 Thanks for any help guys!
Old 04-29-2005 | 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would like to know too , if there is a place to send a monsoon head unit to be repaired . . .
Old 04-29-2005 | 05:36 PM
Launching!

If this is what I think it is, it's because the laser tracking assembly is either dirty or worn. If you've got the guts, take the unit out of the dash and take it apart to the point that you can see the laser assembly's worm gear. Look for the obvious worn or dirty teeth. I used to work at a car stereo place in Wisconsin with a guy that makes his living repairing audio stuff. I'm not sure if he's interested in doing mail-order repairs, but I'd be glad to give him a shout if you guys are interested. Although I couldn't quote his price, I'd bet it wouldn't be $200.
Old 04-30-2005 | 02:58 AM
TECH Resident

It seems to happen when it plays for a while....or when the disc gets warm....I think i'm going to take it apart first and see what happens. If you could shoot that guy a message I would def. appreciate it. thanks!
Old 04-30-2005 | 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just had all parts replaced--didn't work--had to get new one----the circuit board was overheating and GM doesn't sell that part----have 12 disc remote cd changer also or would have gone aftermarket--o well-2 yr warranty...by the way-when you say disc gets warm,its the circuits overheating on the board......

Last edited by NHRAMAN; 04-30-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-30-2005 | 09:13 PM
Launching!

I'm curious if the heating was causing the actual silicone components themselves to fail or if it was just a simple matter of a bad solder joint (or more) becoming an open circuit when heated. Then again, capacitors have been known to act up similarly too, so who knows.

ynk - I'll give him a shout Monday and see what he wants to do, and let you know.
Old 04-30-2005 | 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Just had all parts replaced--didn't work--had to get new one----the circuit board was overheating and GM doesn't sell that part----have 12 disc remote cd changer also or would have gone aftermarket--o well-2 yr warranty...by the way-when you say disc gets warm,its the circuits overheating on the board......
How much did a new one run ya?

Daley- thanks man

Trending Topics

Old 05-01-2005 | 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Might use this as a time to upgrade to an aftermarket H/U.
You might also look around at wrecked cars for one cheap.
Just a few ideas
Old 05-02-2005 | 05:30 PM
Launching!

ynk - I called my guy like I promised, and it seems that we have some very viable options with regard to factory stereos. He was honest enough to tell me that the Monsoon systems he gets he sends out to a company in New York, called United Radio. They have a flat fee for just the CD transport, and a flat fee for the whole radio itself. I'm told that if you send just the transport, they go thru the whole thing and warranty it for a year; likewise if you send the whole radio, it gets the full treatment and same warranty. He wasn't able to give a price because he of course gets a discount, but he did say that it would be cheaper to "just have your buddies contact them directly rather than involve a middle-man". He went on to rave about the quick turn-around, excellent work and the fact that they use factory parts. FWIW, they work on just about everything, not just Monsoon. I hope this helps!!
Old 05-03-2005 | 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

Daley, thanks a lot man, i really appreciate it! I'm going to give them a call tomorrow morning....i was looking at the prices of aftermarket fixes....they don't list factory, and it's very reasonable. Thank you so much!
Old 05-03-2005 | 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

I called the place....199.95 cause i'm just a consumer, lower if it was through a business but i dunno by how much.