Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2 Questions.JL Audio components and amp to power them

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005 | 09:41 PM
Teching In

Default 2 Questions.JL Audio components and amp to power them

I need some speakers in the front of my car. I was thinking compnents and wanted JL Audio's. Which ones should i get. They have a few but i dont know which ones to get. I would only want them really for a lot of sound in the front. Very loud. Bass would be nice, If i cant get bass out of them well ill at least have some from my 2 jl subs. I dont want to spend more than 200 dollars on components.

Now for the amps:
I currently have 2 amps. I dont know how much watts they are rated at but i know the one currently in my car has 5 channels. The only thing hooked up that are the 2 subs and two speakers. I also have another 4 channel amp that is just sitting around. I dont know what kind it is. The one installed is a sony. I have a few pics of it not very good ones though.
I wanted to know what amp i could use to power the components.
Old 05-19-2005 | 04:17 AM
TECH Addict

not sure how much they cost, so you'd have to contact your local JL dealer, but at the very least (as far as JL components go), i'd go with a set of These VR650-CSi Components, or for a bit of an upgrade, go with These XR650-CSi Components, and be sure to sound deaden the doors really well.

as far as which amp to use.....there's no way anyone can really advise you on that until we have a specific make/model so we can see the specs on them.
Old 05-19-2005 | 10:59 PM
Teching In

I think the sony is a Sony Xplod xm-404eqx. I saw a pic that looked exaclty like it came up with that name.
Old 05-19-2005 | 11:02 PM
Teching In

the other one is a (its alot smaller than the xplod) Rockwood and it says Force 1 Series. Thats the only name i could come up with.
Old 05-19-2005 | 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by superbug123
the other one is a (its alot smaller than the xplod) Rockwood and it says Force 1 Series. Thats the only name i could come up with.

OK, now we're getting somewhere....get rid of that Rockwood amp with a quickness. use the Sony amp to power the component set, with channels 1/2 bridged for the driver's side, and channels 3/4 bridged for the passenger's side. that will provide 100w per component set, which is a good match. this is assuming, of course, that you got the model # right on the Sony amp. you cannot go by looks in most cases, as it is pretty common practice for car audio amplifier manufacturers to make all their amps in a particular lineup look as similar as possible, so they all match pretty well, even if you have different models.....

then buy you another amp to power the subs.....which amp you get depends on the specific JL subs you have. what series subs are they? are they DVC or SVC subs (dual voice coil or single voice coil)? what is the nominal impedance of each coil?

provide us this info, and we can give a recommendation on which amp to get.

Last edited by 02Z28LS1; 05-19-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-21-2005 | 11:02 PM
Teching In

I have 2, 10 inch V0. I found some 6.5 inch jl components for $209 is that a good price?
Old 05-22-2005 | 06:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would stay far away from the sony explodes. Listen to them and youll see what im talking about.

Since you like JL, why not use JL's line of amplifers?
Old 05-23-2005 | 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
I would stay far away from the sony explodes. Listen to them and youll see what im talking about.

Since you like JL, why not use JL's line of amplifers?

well, for one reason, he already owns the Sony amp.....

but i agreen, i would personally get rid of both amps, and go all JL for both the amps & speakers, assuming you have the extra cash to do so.
Old 05-24-2005 | 11:21 AM
Teching In

Wait theyr not Vo they are WO. I Havnt really seen how the amp is connected but it has 2 pioneer 3 way spekers with the 2 W0 JL subs. I found the 650 CSi components and wanted to know if $209 was a good price. Also how do u bridge an amp. I know that its when you combine two channels to make more power but i dont know how to do it. Also IM sire that is the right amp it says 4/7 channels on it and its the only Sony amp that i have seen that actually looks the same.