Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Adding MP3 player to Alpine Head Unit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding MP3 player to Alpine Head Unit?

OK i have an older model Alpine HU (CDA-852) that does not have an aux output. I want to install my Dell DJ in my car before i take a few road trips in the summer. I found an adapter that hooks up to my cd changer control (Alpine KCA 121B). But since my HU cannot control an aux input it sort of has to be rigged. This is Alpine advice to make it work.

---"1. Plug the KCA 121B Aux adapt cable into the changer input of head unit.

2. In the head units menu mode make sure mute is off.

3. Put a toggle switch on the pink and black cell phone interrupt wire and connect
to ground.

4. When the toggle switch is activated the display on the CDA 852 will read interrupt,
and this will allow a line level signal to come through the changer input with the
KCA 121B Aux adapt cable.

5. It works great, no noise on the input and you can even use separate settings for
bass and treble, ect for the radio, CD and MP3 player."--

My question is about the toggle switch. Do i place a two prong 2 way switch on there, with one prong dedicated to the cell interrupt wire and the other prong dedicated to a ground? Therefore when i put the switch to the ground side it will close the circuit and trick the HU into thinking that a cell phone is ringing and allow the mp3 player signal to come in? Is this correct? Will it mess anything up if i do wire it this way and it turns out not to be correct?

Thanks