Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone built a sub wall?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone built a sub wall?

ALready have one question going on here, thought Id ask this while it was on my mind. I was thinking a wall that took up the backseat and seperated the hatch area from the passengers. A guy from thirdgen.org (candiedz, I think) did it to his Camaro. Are there any plans floating around? Id love to do it.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done a couple when I worked in car audio - no plans that I knew of. Every time I did it, I did it from scratch. Expect to put many hours into this project.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have built a couple of walls in my time and still have my Geo that was sponsored by Memphis. That is an All out project that requires talking with the Tech Reps (The install ones) to get an idea of what you are trying to accomplish.

I was going for SPL compition in USAC at the Time (about 3 years ago) and I was shooting for around Mid 160's with 3 sub's Ported(SHP's) and around 4000+ watts (2 1500's Summed) I built it to still be able to drive it and Had a Tuned Area of around 56-57Hz. I then Had a Box size and Port Speced out. It was 15 cu. ft' enclosure, 20x9x9 port.

I then had to Make measurements to get that big of a box to fit and had to Design it around the interior of the Car. Then Once I had the Drawings completed, I cut the Wood and Pre-Fabed it outside the Car. Then Disassembled and Re-assembled inside the car. It was about a 3 month Total Project that had alot of other things going on at the same time (YES I DAILY DROVE IT WHILE MAKING IT.)

All in all it's not too bad if you are really familiar with car audio and really good at design and fabrications. It's Definitly an Expert type of install.

What are you going to attemp to do with this type of enclosure? Competion, SPL, Just plain o'll Loud?

You can get a Wall in there but it's a pretty involved Project and will add a considerable amount of weight to the Vehicle. Expect to also tackle other problems the WILL come up.

Thing's like, Suspension to handel the Weight, Sealing of the Front area, Actually fitting the Enclosure inside the Vehicle, DEADENING, Sealing the Doors, and Windows/windshield, Flexing, Parts falling off .

I have pictures, but they are all regular pictures not digital. I don't have a scanner either.

Hell, What you are going to do with the install matters pretty big, BUT expect it to be loud and be carefull with your hearing. Mine is still damaged and will never be the same.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Darn Richie, I never pictured you as a Mike Bartells type of fellow.
Amazing what you'll learn about ppl! Fortunately, my hearing is great, but listening still sucks (lol)

We have a few on the MECA forums that maybe able to assist him, or Team Gates forum where Mike Bartells can provide him some assistance. He has also provided install pics.

Just an FYI
Old 05-26-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah. I liked SPL COmpetition becasue it was Engineering at it's maximum effect. Really made all the theories prove themselves in action.

I was amazed when something as simple as measuring the Accoustic chamber came into effect. I had to plan where the Wall face was going to sit, and then make measurements of the area to get the tunning freaq for the remaining space.

I'm pissed when Uncle Sams movers lost 2 boxes full of Mags and Car Audio info I built up over the years. All the Math and Paper work for what I did got lost.

BUT I was lucky enought to remmeber what I've done, Still have the car, Trophies and experience. I can still get the info If I want it, but that was basically the Last Big install and area I never had worked in for myself. I was mostly a SQ guy for a Long time and Loved bass because I was into House music Growing up.

That install is overkill for anything I would want in the future.

Man. I should get pics of the install scanned up. Would be cool to show it off a bit again. I'm going to sell it sometime soon with all the Equipment installed. It just sits in the driveway. I haven't even started it up in about 8 months. Damn I let it go, but it's still Ok, and I wanted to finish the Cosmetics before I sell it.

Oh and Bartell is a cool Guy. I haven't chatted with him in a long while. about 2 years. No. More like 2 1/2. DAMN. I'm getting too old.

I need to check out their forum. See what the trend is lately. I got into Porting when it became the Rage. Before that it was all Sealed Eclosures before. Porting was thought to be too weak and didn't provide the Stregnth of the "Spring" that was needed for porting at those levels.

Last edited by Richiec77; 05-26-2005 at 03:20 AM.