Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Siemans window Motor???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Siemans window Motor???

Well, it's getting to be that time... to replace the crappy power window motor. My question is this: Anyone tried the Siemans motor instead of the GM one. Autozone sells both an OEM version ($55) and the Siemans ($68).

Is it worth the extra 13 bucks? Does the Siemans replacement have a lifespan longer than 2 years (like the GM version)?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 05-26-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I often hear of window motor prblems, what actually happends to them? Do they become noisey, do the slow down, or just stop working all together? I have originals in my '94. Did they switch to an inferior type later on?

BTW, I always see them for sale on ebay.

Thx
D
Old 05-26-2005, 05:49 PM
12 Second Club

Mine is slowing down, and sometimes doesnt work. Its on its way out.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:16 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=motor
Old 05-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Teching In

The problem for me started last fall. I was going throught the drive-through at Taco Bell and when I pressed my driver's side window button it went down about half way and then stopped. It wouldn't go up or down any more. The passenger side however worked just fine. When I got home about 15 min later I tried rolling the window up again and it actually worked. It had been raining earlier the day I had my problem, so I chalked it up to moisture temporarly causing a short. All winter long I had no other problems out of it. Until just a few weeks ago. I was riding to work with the top and windows down and when I got to my parking space I my window rolled up about 8-10 inches and stopped. I waited about five min. and finally it went up about another 8-10 inches and stopped. After another 5 min (making me late for work) I was finally able to roll it up all the way. Ever since then I don't roll
it down unless its a long trip.

Here is what I've read about the problem:
As a safety feature GM window motors have a copper strip in them that acts like a circuit breaker. When the motor meets resistance the strip heats up (thus expanding) and trips the circuit. The motor can't be activated again until the strip cools off and contracts. This feature is designed to keep people (manly children) from pinching their necks, arms, etc. between the door and roof.
As the motor gets older the copper strip stays in a more expanded state, meaning that the slightest amount of heat causes the breaker to trip. I've heard of people bypassing the strip, but it seems like way more work than just replacing the motor.

I'm just wanting to know if the Siemans motor has the same issues as the GM.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Siemans is about the best there is for our cars.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks VIP1. I searched for "Siemans" and couldn't find out if that brand is any better than GM. It looks like 2MRMMS thinks its worth it:

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Siemans is about the best there is for our cars.
Does anyone know if the Siemans motor employs this same great copper strip circuit breaker technology? I'm gonna go with them anyway, but I'm just curious.