Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

turn signal problem.... help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal problem.... help please

ok my turn signals have been doing some weird stuff.... i put a new electric flasher in... it worked good... but now it does weird stuff... sometimes it flashes real fast and than sometimes it just stops flashing and makes the signals stay solid.... i put a GM thermal flasher in and it barely works at all... the flashers take real long to blink and it hesitates real bad.... ive changed all the bulbs as well and i cant find a short anywhere... what the hell is wrong with this thing... i go through like 4 fuses a day
Old 06-15-2005, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NAPA sells a heavy duty flasher for our cars that seems to work well. I found the info on this site for when I had problems. Sounds like something is definately still going on with the flasher or immediate wiring with the flasher. I'm basing my thoughts on you saying that you changed out the flasher again and the problem changed too. Wouldn't hurt to change the bulbs if the basic flasher doesn't work. Thats what I would try before tackling any long projects (checking wires and such)
Old 06-16-2005, 07:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Before assuming it's the flasher, does the problem happen with both sides? The same flasher is used for both side turn signals so if one side works but the other doesn't then the flasher is not the problem.

First, double check that all the bulbs are working (I know you said you replaced them but double check anyway). The easiest way to do this is to turn on the hazard flashers and walk around the car making sure all the bulbs are flashing. This is because the hazards use a different flasher so they will usually work even though the turn signals don't. While you're at it, check that the bulbs all look about the same brightness. Thermal flashers are very sensitive to the amount of current flow so different wattage bulbs or bad sockets causing additional resistance will cause problems.

The thing that concerns me is the blown fuses. Do they blow at any particular time? For example, every time you use reverse? The backup lights are on the same fuse as the turn signals so a short there could be causing the fuse problem.

If not then I would suspect the turn signal switch, the DRL module or the wiring. Between the fuse and the switch the wire is brown, from the switch to the DRL module the left side is light blue with white and the right side is dark blue with white. If the problem affects both sides then it would be the switch or the wiring to the switch. If only one side is affected then it would be after the switch - either the DRL module or the wiring for that side (or still perhaps the switch itself).