Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Comments and questions - I shopped today

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Comments and questions - I shopped today

I've pretty much narrowed my component selection down to Boston Z6s or Focals. I listened to both today and decided that the Focal Utopias suck (comparatively speaking) ,the Boston Z6s are awesome and the Focal KPs have the edge over the Bostons and are definitely better than the Utopias. So my front components will be the KPs.

Subs: I was told by several different people (installers) that the W6 will be more efficient and hit better and be more clear than the W7 in the C5 Coupe because of the amount of travel the W7 requires. Exact words, the quality of sound the W6 will be better than the W7. So, if I go the W6 route, should I run a 12W6? Anyone have comments?

Rear channel: Are most here satisfied with just a front stage setup? Or should I put some components in the rear as well like a lower model Focal?

Amps: I will be running a JL 500.1 on the woofer. If I have front and rear channel components should I run 3 amps? Or would a 450.4 do the trick? If I only run the front components, which amp would you recommend?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2005, 12:39 AM
Launching!

a 450/4 should be fine, and i'm glad to see that you have gone to check out what you like.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

My buddy has Boston SL60's up front in his Camaro and they scream. They're running of a JL 300/4. Some people prefer the front stage but my car sounds better with 6 1/2" coaxials in the rear. They're just Alpine Type R's but I think it fills out the sound.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cajundude
Subs: I was told by several different people (installers) that the W6 will be more efficient and hit better and be more clear than the W7 in the C5 Coupe because of the amount of travel the W7 requires. Exact words, the quality of sound the W6 will be better than the W7.
???? I would seriously question them as to why they think that way. Sure you could FORCE the W7 to sound worse then the W6. Throw it in an incorrectly tuned box with air leaks all over and put the W6 in a correctly built box..... but lemme ask you something..... Ignore what everyone says including me..... think about it. W6 vs W7. What do you think? Come on now. Those are some pretty bold statements to be making without backing them up.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Well, if I go a W7, the box will only be 1.1 cu ft. sealed. I'm not putting a monster box in the back as I am trying to save some weight since I track the car. The 1.1 is cutting it close with the W7. I don't know, I'll see if anyone in the Houston area has a W7 in a C5 that I can hear and then I'll make the choice.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I'm curious as to why the Utopia's sounded like Crap????? You are the 1st person I've ever heard say they suck! I've heard the Price sucks, but SQ???????????

I'm baffled pretty bad here.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Also baffeled on the utopia coment , but i hate bostons . Everyone has thier own tastes.

And if your looking at that bok a w6 will be great. No reason to cram a w7 in there unless you just want to say "Oh yeah, I have a W7 in my car "
Old 07-09-2005, 06:19 AM
On The Tree

I guess crap was too harsh of a word. The Utopias are excellent speakers. I thought they were right on par with the Z6s. When I listened to the K2Ps they seemed to "fill" in all the sound better. There was, it seemed, to be better midbass and all around sound, slightly better than the Z6s and quite more than the Utopias. Again, this is what my ears tell me. I am by no means any type of audio judge, just going by what I heard. I would be proud to own any of the three but was most impressed by the K2Ps. I think I will go back for another listen before I purchase any of them.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was really inpressed with the way the focal utopias sound...

Have you tried listening to any MB Quarts.

Either way the focals are the better way to go. Might have been something wrong with their display.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cajundude
I guess crap was too harsh of a word. The Utopias are excellent speakers. I thought they were right on par with the Z6s. When I listened to the K2Ps they seemed to "fill" in all the sound better. There was, it seemed, to be better midbass and all around sound, slightly better than the Z6s and quite more than the Utopias. Again, this is what my ears tell me. I am by no means any type of audio judge, just going by what I heard. I would be proud to own any of the three but was most impressed by the K2Ps. I think I will go back for another listen before I purchase any of them.
Yeah just choose what you like best, everyone seems to love bostons i just dont. Its about what your happy with, and somebody is always gonna critisize no matter what you have