Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Where should I mount my amp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Where should I mount my amp?

I have a JL Audio 300/4 amp that is 13.4" by 9.25" by 2.36"

My first thought was to mount it up above the spare tire where the stock Monsoon amp was. But the sucker is too big to fit in that tiny little space.

My 2nd thought was to ditch the spare and mount it back where the spare tire was. Like this guy did. https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/346053-new-amp-spot-am-i-1st-maybe-not-but-check-out.html Somebody mentioned heat buildup in that closed in space, a factor I had forgot about(my car is NBM and it is always above 90 in the summer time).

So now my 3rd option is to make an amp rack and hang the amp along the back wall in my trunk. Heat dissapation would be improved, but I don't like this idea for two reasons.
1. I sometimes pack the trunk full of stuff and I don't want to knock a wire off or have something shoved up against the amp.
2. If it is raining I cannot open the hatch for fear of water getting onto the amp.

So where should I mount it? Is the heat dissipation going to be that big of a deal if I mount it where the spare tire is? Or should I stop whining and put it along the back wall?
Old 07-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put it along the back wall... and build a cover across the top and bottom.... that way you won't get water on em.. and your wires will be safe. That's what I did, well without the shield on the bottom... never had a problem yet. https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/345788-just-showin-off-let-me-know-what-you-think.html
Old 07-10-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have mine in my spare tire area, have had it in my camaro and my ws6 like this for over 3 years. no problems ever heating up. my ws6 is black and it gets really hot, so as long as your amp is big enough you shouldn't have a problem