Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speaker ? need help asap!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speaker ? need help asap!

This is long but im going to be as detailed as possible. The other day, i had my door speaker blow on my 98 trans am w/ monsoon system. i have a set of almost new 6.5 speakers that wont fit in the door so my plans where to take the two speakers in the back seat area and put them in the front grills and put my new speakers in the rear. (only place they will fit.) Will the rear speakers sound ok in the door? Also during test fit, i noticed the oem speaker having 4 wires going to it and the new one requires only two. Not big into electronics so im asking for help from the experts. How to make this work properly and what is your opinions on the whole thing, would any of you do the same thing i am by replacing the front blown speakers with the stock rear?

Thanks for any help in advance.

PS i know the 4 wires and 2 wires states 4ohms and 2ohms but not sure which is which nor do i wanna ruin speakers today or take any chances. Im willing to admit in this situation im clueless so please help out.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sail panel speakers (those with 2 wires) only produce low frequencies.

Although they'll likely fit in the doors, they won't sound right. I take it your new speakers are 4 ohms too, not 2 ohms like the stock....

Read the sticky at the top of this forum.. Good info.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GPz1100
The sail panel speakers (those with 2 wires) only produce low frequencies.

Although they'll likely fit in the doors, they won't sound right. I take it your new speakers are 4 ohms too, not 2 ohms like the stock....

Read the sticky at the top of this forum.. Good info.
Thats right. If you put the rear speakers in the doors and the door speakers in the rear, it won't quite sound right. Plus you will be losing a pair of tweeters in you system by doing this causing you to lose half of your highs.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

well can i try to put in a regular aftermarket speaker in the front grill as a direct replacement? will the tweeter still work?
thanks again for your help guys
jeff
Old 07-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a thread around here someplace about using the alpine sps-170a speakers in the front. Specifically, the speaker was modified to seperate the tweeter from the woofer.

The factory 4 wires were then used for each driver (recall, in the factory setup, the front woofer is driven off the amp and the tweeter off the factory HU). Most people were fairly happy with this arrangement.

Try these 2 threads - both are long, so be prepared to do some reading..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=sps-170

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=sps-170
Old 07-13-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

I don't know what size speaker you need, but I just replaced one of my Monsoon rear sail panel 6.5" speakers with a brand new GM part for $ 55, delivered.

I felt it was well worth it. A lot less than ripping out the Monsoon to start over.

And, the new GM part is clearly marked as 4 ohm, however, I think they parallel two speakers in the one to make an effective impedance of 2 ohms. GM part number is 9365799 for mine.