Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: XM or Sirius
Currently have/had XM and switching/switched to Sirius
10.67%
Currently have/had Sirius and switching/switched to XM
2.25%
Currently have XM and happy
37.64%
Currently have Sirius and happy.
49.44%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

XM vs Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 ss
hay guys my wife is getting me a sirius radio . the thing is where whould i put the ant. at i have a camaro t-tops and i think im going to love this serius radio it even has mp3 player on it and you can rec serius radio . man is it cool
My antenae is on the roof in the center by the hatch glass, not near the t-tops. Some people have mounted it in the bar between the two t-tops as well. You will want it as high up as possible, it loses signal enough around trees, buildings and taller vehicle as it is.

Just throwing this out there, anyone out there going into sat radio thinking the sound is going to be good just because it is digital is in for a shock. The sound quality is HORRIBLE and the better your system the more it will tick you off. The sound quality is about the same as what their free web trial sounds like, which is, well, horrible. At low volumes it is tolerable but I prefer CD's or the I-Pod. I will not be renewing sirius unless they improve the sound quality. If they have to cut back on stations, so be it.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My antenna is mounted inside the rear wing. It's mounted close to car's antenna so FM modualtion is good too.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
My antenna is mounted inside the rear wing. It's mounted close to car's antenna so FM modualtion is good too.
That's interesting...especially since the satellite antenna has nothing to do with the FM modulation (the wireless modulator is internal to the satellite radio - it doesn't use an external antenna). Putting the radio itself closer to the antenna might improve reception but it would be awkward to have to go into the hatch to change channels.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by illy5603
My antenae is on the roof in the center by the hatch glass, not near the t-tops. Some people have mounted it in the bar between the two t-tops as well. You will want it as high up as possible, it loses signal enough around trees, buildings and taller vehicle as it is.

Just throwing this out there, anyone out there going into sat radio thinking the sound is going to be good just because it is digital is in for a shock. The sound quality is HORRIBLE and the better your system the more it will tick you off. The sound quality is about the same as what their free web trial sounds like, which is, well, horrible. At low volumes it is tolerable but I prefer CD's or the I-Pod. I will not be renewing sirius unless they improve the sound quality. If they have to cut back on stations, so be it.
My Sirius sound quality was pretty decent with the FM modulator, but now I have it hard-wired to my auxilary port and it is CD quality. I would say that my Starmate's quality was not quite as good my S50 though.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by jaybob
My Sirius sound quality was pretty decent with the FM modulator, but now I have it hard-wired to my auxilary port and it is CD quality. I would say that my Starmate's quality was not quite as good my S50 though.
I experienced the same thing... I just replaced my StarMate with an XACT unit and the sound quality is much better.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea that will be a constant change. each device will have its own sound quality output. so some of the people who complain about lacking sound quality on one service or another are likely victims of low quality parts in their device or connection style.

I've got a whine in mine but its from the vehicle itself. i need to isolate the grounds for the inline amp (the Delphi SkyFi's biggest failing is a low sound output level from its connection) Skyfi, Radio HU, to a common point. instead of 3 different locations.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by illy5603

Try a different Sirius unit, different connection method. FM Modualtion and Cassette connections are inherently low quality. Direct Line connections will give you the best sound (as long as you avoid multiple location grounds..
)
Old 02-17-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
That's interesting...especially since the satellite antenna has nothing to do with the FM modulation (the wireless modulator is internal to the satellite radio - it doesn't use an external antenna). Putting the radio itself closer to the antenna might improve reception but it would be awkward to have to go into the hatch to change channels.

That depends really. the SkyFi2 has a FM loop antenna in the Sat antenna wire. the two signals are so vastly different that they don't interfere with each other even traversing the same connection to the radio.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

had both hated xm sirius is so much better the music the comedy every thing is better. plus the customer service is better than xm easier to deal with.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
stern, nuff said.
i agree stern is enough reason alone to have sirius.throw in the nfl package and its a dream come true.also if anyone is interested they have the playboy channel but id rather see not hear
Old 06-11-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

For rock I think XM is better. I used to work at Circuit City and listened to both a BUNCH before going with XM. XM has more rock channels, and it seems a deeper library of music as well. My favorite channel is Fungus, which is mostly punk. Sirius' channel for punk also plays hip-hop, and I can't stand any of that trash, so that was a huge mark against Sirius for me.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:10 PM
jic
Staging Lane

Xm Radio!
Old 11-10-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 04goatinmass
i agree stern is enough reason alone to have sirius.throw in the nfl package and its a dream come true.also if anyone is interested they have the playboy channel but id rather see not hear
Exactly
That's why I'm glad I got XM.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thingthatgoes
Exactly
That's why I'm glad I got XM.
thats why xm sales are dropping and sirius are booming then
Old 11-26-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 04goatinmass
thats why xm sales are dropping and sirius are booming then
Please don't fall into the fudged numbers that unethical marketing techniques bring.
First, XM still has more subscriptions. Second, the little doggy company has been giving away subscriptions with Mitsu and other Mopar brand cars. Because of this, there are about 100,000 cars in dealer lots that are counted as units.
Numbers don't lie, its the people that **** with the numbers that lie.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Please don't fall into the fudged numbers that unethical marketing techniques bring.
First, XM still has more subscriptions. Second, the little doggy company has been giving away subscriptions with Mitsu and other Mopar brand cars. Because of this, there are about 100,000 cars in dealer lots that are counted as units.
While it is true that Sirius is giving away a lot of subscriptions with new cars and therefore not gaining much income from them, it is not true that this inflates their numbers. Subscriptions are only counted when activated - unsold cars on a dealer's lot are not included in subscription counts.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

if im not mistaken xm did the same thing,why do you think people who had xm that came with there car are bringing it back to the dealer to have it modified to sirius.plus it only counts activated units,thus the word subscibers when they give out there numbers of people they have
Old 11-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Sirius by a landslide........

had Xm and is no were near sirius, with the selection and quality of channels.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
I'll just say that I work at Best Buy in the Car Audio department and Sirius satellite radios were our most popular item by far this year for Christmas (and even before that).

If I had to make a choice, based on the quality of the product and the listing of music types, I'd definitely go for Sirius. Their genres seem to be a bit more well-defined and have better hits.

Oh, and I really couldn't give a damn about Howard Stern.

Last year when I worked the sales floor at Best Buy you literally could not buy or even order a sirius radio at times. My self I am addicted to Maxium radio and a couple of the comedy channels. I could care less if they carry stern or not.

sat radio's compression still bothers me when I listen to music. they are close to 128k mp3's but not quite. Any talk of xm or sirius upping the bit rate in the near future, or is that not possible with the current radios?

also, has anybody attempted to hardwire their radio to the stock monsoon headunit. In theory you could connect it to the cd changer audio ports but i'm not sure if that'll work or not.

Last edited by SmokingWS6; 11-27-2006 at 10:00 PM.