Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

For all Audio Enthusiasts!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you running the stock alt? if so then you could upgrade the alt to a higher output one.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah im runnign stock, i have thought about upgrading but its not that big of a deal.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

The M1-ATX 90w power supply i'm using has a 25A fuse on it, so, it's not going to consume more than that. I cannot tell whether it takes a toll on my electrical system or not, since I have a 200A high output alternator, and a Optima Yellow top battery. Take off the trim bezel that surrounds the radio/ac area, and look at the back of it. There should be molded in numbers/letters. Look for the letters "ABS" if it is ABS plastic, you should be able to add plastic to it (making the hood) by using a slurry of ABS plastic and acetone mixed together in a squeeze bottle (mustard bottle) this "glue" slurry will melt ABS plastic to itself. Just cut/fill/sand until you have the shape you want, then finish any pinholes or imperfections with a LIGHT coat of filler. Then sand/adhesion promoter/paint.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

hey snootch, wow! i can only dream of having a setup like yours! i ws wanting to dynamat my whole car but im concerned about weight issues. i was wondering how much weight the full dynamat added? couldnt have been over 30-50 lbs right? or i could be totally wrong more/less? but if u can help me out that would b awesome. thanks
Old 09-02-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks snootch
Old 09-04-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSfast1
hey snootch, wow! i can only dream of having a setup like yours! i ws wanting to dynamat my whole car but im concerned about weight issues. i was wondering how much weight the full dynamat added? couldnt have been over 30-50 lbs right? or i could be totally wrong more/less? but if u can help me out that would b awesome. thanks
I used about 10 rolls of material, so probably about 40 pounds or so.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

ok cool thanks. how long did it take u? and what material did u use?
Old 09-06-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSfast1
ok cool thanks. how long did it take u? and what material did u use?
Taking my time, it took an entire weekend to strip the interior out, clean the metal, apply sound deadening, run speaker/power wires, then re-install interior. I did not use "Dynamat". Instead I used stuff I found at Lowe's called "Quick Fix" gutter repair tape. I believe it is the same stuff as "Peal N' Seal". Sound deadening works on the principle of adding mass to metal to keep its resonant frequency down, thereby preventing rattles. So you could add three sheets of "Dynamat" to a sheet of metal, or glue lead weights to it to heep it from making noise when being vibrated. I live in Forida, and the car experiences 120F plus temps. I did not notice any smell in the car after applying it, or anything. The only thing diferrent from regular sound deadening materials I noticed was that some of it melted/melts when hot, creating some stick areas under the carpet. However it's under the carpet, so it doesent matter. There are pics of the "Quick Fix" rolls on my website: http://www.snootch420.freewebspace.com/photo.html
Old 09-09-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very Cool, I'd love to do this in my up and coming new SUV since it'll be a DD. I wouldn't want all those electronics in my sports car, but nonetheless, mad props to Snootch