Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Remote Door Lock and Unlock Won't Lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 12:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Door Lock and Unlock Won't Lock

Allright.. So -- onto other issues -- My friend (the technician) hooked up the wiring for my Viper 791XV to control the door lock off and on -- he first followed some instructions on how to do so and hook it up to a relay.

1) He first hooked up the lock mechanism and checked it out.. Worked like a champ, he then hooked up the unlock mechanism and it worked like a champ. But now when you go to lock the door nothing happens. Not even with locking through the switch on either passenger/driver side. But I can unlock -- just never lock..

What the hell is wrong?? Is my BCM screwed?? Here is where it gets tricky... I can hear the relay click when I lock the doors -- its just that nothing happens -- and I have a stock alarm -- but it never worked really well, i tried the directions to disarm and nada happened because i never got 4 beeps -- .. -- So this is what gets screwy---

When I lock the door but nothing happens and then shut the door, it is still unlocked, however the factory alarm thinks that it is locked and arms itself..

What will fix this?? Why does this damned alarm not ever work...
Old 09-17-2005, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

- - - T T T - - -
Old 09-17-2005, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

Allright -- so nobody wanted to help -- so I just disconnected both lock and unlock mechanisms/ used a relay and entirely bypassed the lock unlock -- so it works like a champ -- !!! Thanks for the NO help
Old 09-17-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BR1060
Allright -- so nobody wanted to help -- so I just disconnected both lock and unlock mechanisms/ used a relay and entirely bypassed the lock unlock -- so it works like a champ -- !!! Thanks for the NO help
that is what I was going to suggest, as I sit here and read your post for the first time.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BR1060

Your bcm falls asleep after 35 seconds..You need to perform a BCM wakeup.

glad i couldnt help.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

BCM actually falls asleep after about 10 minutes but I would suspect that the aftermarket alarm was hooked up with the wrong configuration (there's around six different configurations in the DEI installation manual). The post makes it sound like the "technician" friend was flying by the seat of his pants rather than following the instructions (e.g. DEI alarm setups don't generally require extra relays for the locks).

What a shame that nobody came rushing to your assistance within 15 hours on a weekend! Maybe some of us have better things to do!
Old 09-18-2005, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

I cannot find the paper becuase its at his house, but honestly it was a DEI BCM Bypass, which required the cut of two wires and a wire tap into one of them. I will see if I can find this sheet of paper to properly detail -- but we followed the correct instructions.. But we aren't the only ones who had this issue, in LS2 they have had the same issue with Alarms -- but nobody knows why this happens...
Old 09-18-2005, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

i don't remember exactly how i hooked up mine but i remember using a dei 451m which is basically two relays and i caught the door lock wires in the passenger kick panel. there is a directtechs document on how to hook it up.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

I had the exact same thing happen! I mean word for word, the exact same thing. The technicians couldn't figure it out, so I have to ask my passenger to lock the door by hand all the time, which is really embarassing. The dealer told me I needed a new BCM. HOW DID YOU FIX THIS?????? I MUST KNOW!!!!!! PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU WIRED UP YOUR RELAY!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

i believe this is what you guys are looking for

http://www.directechs.com/techtips/p...htips/1052.pdf
Old 09-22-2005, 07:16 AM
12 Second Club

That's the diagram the techs went off of during my install, but it still didn't work so they said there must have been something wrong with the BCM and I should replace it, even though everything worked fine when I dropped it off. Sounds like BR1060 figured out how to get around it though.

BR1060: Can I get a write up on how you bypassed it entirely to get it to work?
Old 09-22-2005, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

sounds like the tech didn't know what they were doing if it worked fine before they worked on it.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

That's what I said, they kept the car around for a couple extra days, but I'm not sure how hard they tried to figure it out. I was pretty pissed and they had no advice on how to fix it, so I went to the dealer and they said there was no output signal from the BCM and I needed a new one, which I didn't really believe. Like the original post said, you can hear the BCM click when you hit the button but nothing happens. My problem is absolutely identical to his, so hopefully he'll share his secret on how to fix it cause i'm clueless at this point.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I work on the inside of my car I pull the fuse above the breaker/relay on the right hand side of the fuse panel (I think it is #8) so I don't have to listen to the door chime when the doors are open. I forgot to put it back in once and the power door locks wouldn't work using the remote or the switch on the door. Maybe check that fuse.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

yea definitly check all your fuses, i find it hard to belive that they fried the bcm though. and if it is a fuse, don't ever take it to that dealership again.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:14 AM
12 Second Club

I checked all the fuses, and haven't found any bad ones...I wish it were that easy

Quick Reply: Remote Door Lock and Unlock Won't Lock