Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

One Sub or Two? If one which one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Good thread. Good topic to discuss.

Porting can be used to either lower the Fs (increase the extension of the freq range) or can be used for large gains. Just saying 3 dB is not that good of a rule of thumb. Most manufacture specs for port enclosure (Bass Reflex) is around 2-5 dB gain. Not bad.

Down side of porting is that you Need a Subsonic filter, or be really carefull what you play. Playing Freq's below the tunning frequency will make the Suspension system loose control. There-for, there is uncontrolled excussion that will damage the speaker in the long run or imediatly.
This alpine amp has a subsonic filter on the sub channel so that part is taken care of. I have a lot of faith in Alpine equipment unlike most people here who think 120db of sound in a car cabin is quiet.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL. When you use Subs at a high level for a while, 120 dB does start to sound weak. That is a bad sign as it is hearing loss.

I like Alpine equipment. They are 1 of the Few contants in this business. Good choice and you won't be disappointed. I have also used the F450 myself. It's a good Multi-channel to power a whole system.

1 Port 12" or 15" in the well with that amp will have some good/great output. Expect in the neighborhood of 135-148 dB. Prety loud. Only thing to remember is that a Ported enclosure is harder to get right and you should call the manufacture after you get a total air space for what port size to use.

I added a link for a free Box program that is really good.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=20

I worked with another Mod here (Carmaholic) and helped him desgin a great sounding Ported home speaker that is still impressing him. It also worked really well against the Information I have for my SPL car the is still sitting ( ). It has a good help menu and you'll start to see how different Parameters (Theil-Small) work. That can help you find out what is good and what is hype. Really usefull tool to help with what you are doing. You'll also learn some more about Sound physics.

IF you want to try out a ported enclosure, they can sound great and use less power for the same output, and uses less $$$ as far as needing another speaker too.

If you are sure 120 is about what you want, go for the Stealth box w/a 10" sub. It really is one of the Best options car audio wise for us. It will make around 120-130 with a good/great sub. Look into what others have used, and what works in about 0.6-0.75 ft^3. I'll try to dig up some choices for ya, but others here put out some good ideas. Diamond, RF, OZ, Adire, Focal, JL, MTX, JBL, MB Quart, Elemental Design, Image Dynamics. There are alot of choices.

If you like SQ, I'll recommend Diamond, MB Quart, Adire, Focal, Dynaudio. And I would recommend a Sealed enclosure over a ported. A single 10 will not be overpowering the rest of the system and should blend pretty well with the rest of the system.

Last edited by Richiec77; 09-30-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Richiec77
If you like SQ, I'll recommend Diamond, MB Quart, Adire, Focal, Dynaudio.
Very interesting that you left out IDQ, Oz Matrix elite, JL W6v2 and eD Ov2. Not that the brands you mention don't have great SQ, but I believe any one of these can be labelled (and can compete) as a high SQ speaker as well.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thaar
Very interesting that you left out IDQ, Oz Matrix elite, JL W6v2 and eD Ov2. Not that the brands you mention don't have great SQ, but I believe any one of these can be labelled (and can compete) as a high SQ speaker as well.
True. I said there are alot of brands out there to choose from. I gave brand options. Not model. I'm not getting into that here. I like what I like. Others like a different sound.

It's all about perception. The brands I listed in both paragraphs have good speakers. Some to me are better than others in MY mind. Reviews are also like that too. Some people have different opinions on what is good and what is not.

Ok. Since we are debatting SQ Subs, what makes for an "Accurate" Sound reproduction? What things would you look for?

I'll leave the question for now. Just think about what makes for a Good SQ sub.

Also, a KEY factor in acurate bass reproduction, is the Mid-bass drivers. Most musical information that comes in the sub region is Harmonics based. Usually only Large Drums, Gongs, Pipe Organs reproduce in the 100 Hz and down.

Last edited by Richiec77; 09-30-2005 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

i had a single power acoustik 15 **** 3000 watts rms with the 3000 watt class d matching amp and this was so much better than the 2 twelve inch set up i had before talk about deafening low bass.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:46 AM
Staging Lane

I suppose I should make it known that I have sold A LOT of Alpine equipment in my years in car audio. Stating that their power output on sub channels or sub amps is for the majority weak, is simply that, and should not be taken that I mean the amp(s) suck. I own a F450 and have sold MANY of them. They have their place.

The point I was getting to was that you were talking about 2 HX210s which require more power than your amp can output. Maybe a single HX2 would be your best bet.

I have built many many SPL and SQ vehicles in the past and PREFER an SQ vehicle over any "loud" system. My own cars never have more than one sub in them, but I make sure everything is optimized. If a woofer needs 250 watts RMS power, I make sure I have atleast a clean 300.

Do whatever makes you happy, since you are using that amp for your system, do yourself a favor and get a sub that is very efficient with power. Sorry for rambling, I just want to make it clear that your amp is o.k. for your setup, just make sure you use the right sub configuration for it. A stealth box in the back would sound awesome by the way, I have sold/installed atleast 3 JL Stealth Boxes in F-bodys in the past and the customers have been nothing by impressed with them. Good Luck!
Old 10-01-2005, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

I've used these Fosgate 12s in a sealed box with an old Fosgate 250.2 amp and they produced more than enough sound to keep me happy. With a ported box I am sure they will be fine. Some day I can see myself selling the 5 channel and getting a 4 channel with separate sub amp, but not anytime soon. This alpine will fill my needs for a while. Funding is tight now, but who knows what I may do in the future.

What subs would you consider to be more efficient than the HX2 12's I currently own? I've looked at some JL Audio 12's but they're a bit pricey for my current budget.

Last edited by zorrander; 10-01-2005 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mackzero
I have built many many SPL and SQ vehicles in the past and PREFER an SQ vehicle over any "loud" system. My own cars never have more than one sub in them, but I make sure everything is optimized. If a woofer needs 250 watts RMS power, I make sure I have atleast a clean 300.

Do whatever makes you happy, since you are using that amp for your system, do yourself a favor and get a sub that is very efficient with power. Sorry for rambling, I just want to make it clear that your amp is o.k. for your setup, just make sure you use the right sub configuration for it. A stealth box in the back would sound awesome by the way, I have sold/installed atleast 3 JL Stealth Boxes in F-bodys in the past and the customers have been nothing by impressed with them. Good Luck!
I am mostly a SQ guy. The last system I built for myself was the SPL car. I never had one for myself and I wanted to try that route out. SQ competition was getting old for me, and I liked the Absolute judging that come with SPL. You either hit the # or you didn't. no perception biasing there.

You are SO correct about the "Clean" ouput. Distortion is the #1 killer of audio equipment. Both Speaker and AMP based.

Usually, a Sealed enclosure is the best bet for SQ applications. Usually is stressed here.

What you want in a SQ sub is:
Good decay characteristics. This is means you want an efficient Motor structure and a nice compliant suspension set-up. Subs with a higher Qm (mechanical Q) help with this.

Light cones. Treated paper and other light weight STIFF cone material is good to have. It allows the sub to act quickly and makes it easier to control. Dampening in an Amplifier helps with this also.

Effieciency: Shows that the speaker is well designed, but is not an end all spec here. It comes from the complete system of the speaker. The effieciency of the design.

excursion: Allows the subwoofer to play lower frequencies.

This is not everything. Let me do some reading and I'll get back with you on some other points to look for.

I'm just putting info out there. I'm not going to recommend anyone one sub for you. The RF will work. Especially if you are tight on $$$. (Who isn't)
Old 10-01-2005, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

I've been digging around and found JL Audio 12W3V2 subs that I could probably afford if I sold my Fosgates off to someone around here. Their recommended RMS power range is pretty close to what this Alpine can throw out. Would I be better off with a cheaper sub that I can get into the recommended power or with a higher price sub that would end up being under the recommended power range?
Old 10-02-2005, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

ANyway... I've decided to ditch the fosgates and get a JL 12W3 or 12W6 and run it by itself. I'm going to use a good chunk of the back seat for the one sub then use the remaining area for an amp mount. If it turns out like I want I should have what appears to be a giant speaker box with hidden sub and amp. Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 10-03-2005, 06:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

JL is an excellent choice over the fosgate sub
Old 10-03-2005, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Just when I thought I was done.. I have been considering a Kicker L5 solobaric instead of the JL 12W3...
Old 10-03-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've run two 12s and I've run one 12. With the right sub you can run 1 and not miss the other. Right now I have 1 MTX 12 in the car and it sounds ok. I'm going to be swaping it out for a JL soon. I used to run a JBL 12 and I thought it sounded really good in my truck but the system in the truck was a lot better than what I have in the car.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Lets look at TWO things that are very very important in your case....

1) Efficiency of subwoofer
2) Available Power

Kicker L series woofers are UNefficient with power

JL Audio woofers, with the exception of the W7s are very efficient

In your situation, go with a woofer that is matched to your amp, not one that requires more than what you have available.

I would say go with the W6v2 and call it good. They sound awesome and will get the job done.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Get one if you ever have to haul anything, 2 if you don't. I have one JLw3 and it sounds great to me. Just get something that your amp works with and you will be fine
Old 10-03-2005, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys... I'll look for a good deal on a 12W3V2-2D, I can't find any single ones on ebay, only pairs. Do you guys know of a place that has ebay-like pricing?