Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need opinions on mid range amp

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need opinions on mid range amp

I did a search on amps but all I could really find were sub amp threads. I have a '98 T/A with a Pioneer DEH-P470MP HU, stock speakers (sail panel speakers removed), stock amp, and two old Orion Cobalt 10" subs with a Rockford amp for them. I don't plan on installing any speakers in the sails, but I do want to replace the front speakers with the Alpine 170As. I 'may' even replace the rear 4" speakers. I'm wondering what would be a good amp for these speakers? I know the big name companies make good amps, but I'm wondering if that would be overkill for front speakers. I don't want to spend a ton of money and I don't need super sound quality...just better than stock. Any suggestions?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend a basic 4 channel with about 30-50 watts RMS, and crossovers built-in for all channels.

Since you have those subs hitting the bass, the best thing you'll get out of an amp is the ability to pull the bass out of your main drivers. Being able to do that with clean power will make a huge difference.

As with anything, there are three main classes, moslty similar to h/units or speakers.

Crap is crap everywhere, so dual, pyramid, crap like that is still crap. Anything that has "1000 watts" plastered on it in a cartoon font is probably not that good. I can't think of many quality amps that have a wattage number printed on them.

Common stuff that you can by at retail like Kenwood is relatively even. Apline, Rockford, Kicker are probably the best of what is commonly available, and would align well with what you've got. Sony and Pioneer aren't known for very good amps, though.

Sounddomain had a dang tempting JBL 6 channel amp refurb for about $200. Might want to check that out and switch everything over to one amp.

Rockford amps resell well.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

If you decide to go with front, sail, and rear speakers, Look at the JL e6450. Best multiple channel amp I have ever used; and read some reviews on it, one of the best IMO.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I was in Tweeter the other day and saw this amp: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iTuVlRB...p?I=500MRPF240 It's an Alpine MRP-F240. Seems like it should be fine for my needs. It's also $199 at Tweeter but they are supposedly having a customer appreciation weekend or two coming up. Everything will be discounted so it should be a little cheaper than that. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

Never used one, but I know someone who has one in a truck, he put it in hooked up to the factory speakers just for some better sound, and it sounds a lot better. for someone that is not an audiophile and just wants some more sound out of his speakers without it sounding like crap, that should work just fine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-MRP-F240-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-MRP-F240-...QQcmdZViewItem

These are a little cheaper

Good old ebay..............
Old 11-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I recomend Jl too. I run the 300.4 for my hi and mids.