Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Cobalt gauge install help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 01:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cobalt gauge install help.

I got a couple Cobalt series gauges for my car. They are all hooked up but I dont get any light. The Cobalt series gauges require a 12v dash light source. We put the wire from the gauge on every wire going into the headlight switch. The air/fuel meter flickers but doesnt stay on and the actual lights on the gauge dont come on. Is it a bad gauge or bad install?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine did that as well. Did you check the wire harness in the back of the gauge? I ended up accidently pulling some of the wires outta the plug itself. Once i Pushed those back in..it worked fine. Also..check your ground..When you start the car do you hear the gauges "clicking" inside? What do you have your power wire going to?.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:12 PM
11 Second Club

Its just the backlights that dont come on. My air/fuel meter works just fine. They are getting power. The power wire is in the fuze box. But yea my ground was what was making them flicker now I just dont have any lights.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:38 AM
Launching!

May have blow them out somehow. I had two that worked perfectly fine. I had to swap some wires around for my nitrous setup. When i hooked them back up they worked fine but no lights. I've already bought one to replace them, just have to get the other. Then i'm going to send both to autometer and tell them they ddin't work from the begining..lol. I don't think it takes very much to short out those leds in there for some reason.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm.i would still hook each one up one by one, with a good solid ground. And check in the back of the gauge where you plug the harness in, im telling you the wires come outta the plug really easy.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FloridaZ
May have blow them out somehow. I had two that worked perfectly fine. I had to swap some wires around for my nitrous setup. When i hooked them back up they worked fine but no lights. I've already bought one to replace them, just have to get the other. Then i'm going to send both to autometer and tell them they ddin't work from the begining..lol. I don't think it takes very much to short out those leds in there for some reason.
These are brand new gauges. I just dont see them going bad allready. Ill check the wires on the back to make sure they are in good.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:27 AM
11 Second Club

FYI for you all. You splice the white wire in with the green wire on the dimmer switch.