Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Stereo In A ThirdGen ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon Stereo In A ThirdGen ?

It has already been asked but I looked a Didn't see it. Is it Possible to put a Monsoon Stereo in a thirdgen Camaro. Will it fit in the Opening where the Stock Thirdgen Radio Goes. If someone has done this already please let me know how the swap went. Also if u have pics Please let me see. Thx All !!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

i had my monsoon headunit in my 91 for a while, it worked perfectly
Old 01-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

There is absolutely nothing special about a Monsoon head unit - it's just an ordinary Delco radio with a "Monsoon" sticker on it. The thing that distinguishes a Monsoon system is the external amp and the oddball speakers (2-ohm).

So yes, you can put a Monsoon head unit in your 3rd generation - it will fit perfectly and plug right in to the stock harness (you may need a plug adapter for a mid-80s model - they're available from Pep Boys for a few bucks). However, you won't gain anything but a different look - it will work just like any other factory radio.

Adding the complete Monsoon system (amp and speakers) is possible but not worth it. The sound quality is not good enough to justify the expense and work involved.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Thx Guys ! I love the look of the Monsoon in my Forth Gen. Seeing how I have an Extra One and My Iroc needs a CD Player. I think it would be a great Install. My only worry was is It ganna fit. Thx Again Guys !!
Old 01-12-2006, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Unless it's free, I'd go aftermarket