Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stock cd changer

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock cd changer

I was wondering if it is possible to use a stock 12 disc changer with a stock cd player. I currently have a stock monsoon tape deck and would like the extra convenience but to just keep it as stock as possible.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

t t t
Old 01-24-2006, 03:30 PM
Launching!

You can hook them up together. It's how I have one of mine set up.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

You can connect a factory CD changer to any model year cassette head unit but only to mid-99 and newer CD head units. Prior to the middle of the 99 model year the CD head units weren't capable of controlling an external changer. Your best bet, if you're planning to buy a CD head unit, is to make sure it comes from an 01 or 02 model (there were certain other differences that make those models better).
Old 01-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Launching!

I'm with WhiteBird00, my 97 bird came with a factory CD changer along with the factory cassette player. I changed out the cassette player with a factory CD player (2001 or 2002) and continued using the changer. No problems at all.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, it will plug right in to any year fourth gen car. They are pre-wired for the cd changer. Just un-tape the spare wire and plug it in to the changer. I just used a little bit of velcro to hold the changer down. I installed a changer from a 02 camro into my 95 firebird non-monsoon system. I think what Whitebird00 is trying to say is that you can change out a monsoon cassette head system with a monsoon cd head system and it will work. You cannot change out a non-monsoon head unit with a monsoon head unit. There is an amp under the back seat on the monsoon system. The remote cd changer will work with any stock system.

Good Luck.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by zoomer02
Yes, it will plug right in to any year fourth gen car. They are pre-wired for the cd changer. Just un-tape the spare wire and plug it in to the changer. I just used a little bit of velcro to hold the changer down. I installed a changer from a 02 camro into my 95 firebird non-monsoon system. I think what Whitebird00 is trying to say is that you can change out a monsoon cassette head system with a monsoon cd head system and it will work. You cannot change out a non-monsoon head unit with a monsoon head unit. There is an amp under the back seat on the monsoon system. The remote cd changer will work with any stock system.

Good Luck.
No, that's not what I was saying. And no, the factory changer will not work with any stock system. It will work with any stock cassette system. It will not work with a single CD head unit that was made before the middle of 1999. The CD head units prior to then didn't have the changer control capability built in. In late 1999 and 2000 the CD head units could control one external device (the changer). In 2001 and 2002 the CD head units could control more than one external device so you could have a changer and an auxiliary such as satellite radio (with the proper adapter). That's why I recommend the 01 and 02 units if you're going to buy one.

BTW, there is no difference between a Monsoon and non-Monsoon head unit - they are both just Delco radios. The difference in a Monsoon system is all in the amp (mounted under the trim in front of the spare tire) and the speakers. The Monsoon and non-Monsoon head units are 100% interchangeable.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can you hook up another AUX device? Link?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:15 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
How can you hook up another AUX device? Link?
PAC and PIE make adapters that plug into the CD changer port on the back of the radio and provide RCA auxiliary input capability. There are some differences in the design and capabilities of the two companies' products. The PIE GM9-AUX has a CD changer pass-thru port that allows retaining an existing factory changer when adding an auxiliary source (01 and 02 models only). The PAC AAI-GM9 requires a changer be present in order to function but will not play the changer. The PAC AUX-BOX works only if there is no factory changer installed. Both companies make adapters that allow up to three devices to be connected and selected using an external switch you mount on the dash (these will work with any radio that supports a CD changer - all cassette radios plus mid-99 and newer CD radios).

Pacific Accessory Corp (PAC)
Precision Interface Electronics (PIE)