Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help!!! My TA has an electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Help!!! My TA has an electrical problem

So a few days ago I was out in the Trans Am(2001 WS6). I stopped by a friends and as I pulled up to his house and turned the car off I noticed the radio and interior electrical stuff cut off as I turned the ignition off. Well in the F-Bodys your interior power usually stays on until you open the door. I also noticed when I went to lock the doors with the keyfob the alarm didn't chirp.

So I come back out about 20 mins later and the car won't turn over or even attempt to start at all. The interior has power but it's dim and not very strong. So we try and jump it and no luck...not even a bit of difference. Well we disconnect the cables and I'm sittin in the car with the key in the ignition and all of a sudden the interior lights and dash come on 100%. So I immediately try and start it and it starts right up. I get the car home and park it. I go out tonight and try and start the car....and I get almost nothing. Doesn't even try to crank. All the interior dash electornics were very weak and the red alarm led on the dash was flashing and clicking very rapidly. I tried everything I could think of and no luck...

So any thoughts or suggestions would be great. If I can't get it figured out I'll most likely have to get it towed somewhere.

______
Old 01-30-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

come on guys...anyone???
Old 01-30-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

check your positive battery cable.(and neg) ive had similar problems before and it was because of corrosion and bad positive connection. clean off the cable, and tighten it down.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

definately check the ground cable too, alot of wierd electrical problems are usually caused by the basics, i.e. voltage supply, bad ground, poor connection.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yep...So it looks like you you guys were right.

So my battery was dead and I threw my battery tender on it overnight. Came out this morning and it was fully charged, but the car still had zero power.

The terminals and connections looked good but I decided to pull the battery anyway. So when I unscrew the terminals from the side of the battery there was some purple gel/ooze that was all over the screws and coming out of the side of the battery. So I took it back up to NTB and exchanged it since the battery itself is only 4 months old. Threw the new battery in and the car started right up and ran perfect. So I guess somehow the battery was defective or exploded internally or something

So glad it turned out to be an easy fix and not some expensive nightmare...

Last edited by 1BadAzzWS6; 02-06-2006 at 03:12 PM.