Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Pics of my new setup....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt281
Your alt has to charge your battery when the voltage dips, it now has to charge that cap aswell. They're a huge marketing gimmick.
You can get the same results from upgrading the underhood wiring with some 4g or 1/0 "big 3"....looks like you already have the - battery to chassis done.
Not trying to down on your set-up at all, man.

I thought about doing the big 3, but Im not having any problem as of now, so I might wait on that for a few.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by macdaddyZ28
Good looking setup, how much did it cost you? And some other questions....how big are those speakers, and where can I get a box like that for 2 twelve inch fosgates? they require 1.25 per speaker. And as far as the cap goes, do not get rid of it! That would be stupid! Now you do not necessarily have to run it, but when the speaker asks for juice, and they need it now...sometmes it robs from the other componets in the car...headlights mostly! So you go down the road blinkin without the cap! It does not necessarily stop the fading totally, but it really helps. You could run more batteries though. And you spent thousands on that system, but you forgot the most IMPORTANT part...THE OPTIMA BATTERIES!!!!One red under the hood, and a yellow out back.....thats my recomendation. But at least run one more if you already arent. Also that post about having to charge the cap...one its full its no biggie on the alternator. cause then the alternator then has to just fill up what has been used....Also what is the biggest speakers I can run in my 02 without obstructing my rear window?

***i would guess you spent around 5 large***

Price? How about just over 1/5 of what you think Just gotta know how to shop for stuff The speakers are 12s. The box I got from subthump. They make a really nice product. It comes out to about 1 cu. ft. per side. Im not going to take the cap out. It looks cool too. I plan on getting a yellow top, just havent made it to the store yet to get one with this damn flu bug.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt281
Your alt has to charge your battery when the voltage dips, it now has to charge that cap aswell. They're a huge marketing gimmick.
You can get the same results from upgrading the underhood wiring with some 4g or 1/0 "big 3"....looks like you already have the - battery to chassis done.
Not trying to down on your set-up at all, man.
Not true. A capacitor opposes current changes. It helps smooth out the peaks and troughs in the current surge by supplying extra current to the amplifier much faster than the batt/alt. can respond. The capacitor in this case acts like a buffer. With sufficient capacitance you should never see the voltage dip and rise at the batt/alt. This assumes you have a sufficient current supply from the alternator to run the entire electrical system.

Upgrading the Big 3, is a very good idea. The lower the voltage drop accross the power path, the better. But a BFC (Big Freaking Capacitor) is still helpful when driving a high powered sub amplifier.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

WOW THAT IS NICE!!!! I wont be surprised when you get JACKED and come back later feeling like **** that you got ROBBED!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

REALLY NICE SET UP, I bet it sounds BAD ***!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
Not true. A capacitor opposes current changes. It helps smooth out the peaks and troughs in the current surge by supplying extra current to the amplifier much faster than the batt/alt. can respond. The capacitor in this case acts like a buffer. With sufficient capacitance you should never see the voltage dip and rise at the batt/alt. This assumes you have a sufficient current supply from the alternator to run the entire electrical system.

Upgrading the Big 3, is a very good idea. The lower the voltage drop accross the power path, the better. But a BFC (Big Freaking Capacitor) is still helpful when driving a high powered sub amplifier.
You still have to recharge the cap, period. And a deep cycle battery will provide you constant consistant power output. A large enough cap to supply a high powered amp will cost more than another deep cycle battery . An alternator is your best upgrade. Caps are a marketing gimmick.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as a second battery goes, you will want to stay away from that idea until you upgrade you alternator, which it doesnt sound like you need to do. I would recommend upgrading the underhood wiring though for any vehicle that is having more strain on its electrical system than the manufacturer intended.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Wickedwarlock, where are you getting the 275amp alternator. Will it fit or match against the 2002 z28 electronic system? I need to upgrade my alternator also - I'm running diamond separates in the front and mids, 10" JLw3 in the back, memphis amp to push the front and kenwood to push the sub. Running 800 watts rms and 1600 peak. My lights dim when I pound it. The stock alternator cannot handle even with the yellow top optima.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blk02z28
Wickedwarlock, where are you getting the 275amp alternator. Will it fit or match against the 2002 z28 electronic system? I need to upgrade my alternator also - I'm running diamond separates in the front and mids, 10" JLw3 in the back, memphis amp to push the front and kenwood to push the sub. Running 800 watts rms and 1600 peak. My lights dim when I pound it. The stock alternator cannot handle even with the yellow top optima.
http://www.4alterstart.com/

The prices are $449.00 for a 275amp, $399.00 for a 250amp and $349.00 for a 200 amp alternator.

They have a 200 amp alternator for $250 on ebay, best deal unless you need more power.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Teching In

thank you.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
http://www.4alterstart.com/

The prices are $449.00 for a 275amp, $399.00 for a 250amp and $349.00 for a 200 amp alternator.

They have a 200 amp alternator for $250 on ebay, best deal unless you need more power.

I need to get one, but the thing I dont like about the HO alternators is that they dont have a warrenty, only on labor and such. So, if it craps out in a month, youre screwed and have to buy another one My autozone has a lifetime replacement.

I found out that I now have to the big 3 upgrade though
Old 03-17-2006, 07:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Country Boy
I need to get one, but the thing I dont like about the HO alternators is that they dont have a warrenty, only on labor and such. So, if it craps out in a month, youre screwed and have to buy another one My autozone has a lifetime replacement.

I found out that I now have to the big 3 upgrade though
2 year warranty on those alternators from that company. That was the first thing I checked. I will keep my factory alternator just in case something does happen and I need to send it back.

Edit: Here's the 200amp on ebay that's a great deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-UP...spagenameZWDVW

Here's the 250amp version on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...spagenameZWDVW

Like I said, they make a 275amp also.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 03-17-2006 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:13 AM
12 Second Club

Looks awesome. I retired from the audio scene, and now focusing on making my car fast.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Default hey man

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
caps are bandaids, the guy above said it correctly, all marketing. The best improvent is going to a deep cycle battery and depending on the power your pulling, you may need two.

If your going to change them, get two yellow tops, not one red and one yellow. The yellow ones are deep cycle batteries, the red one is not.
And the alternator will be the best upgrade. The biggest I could find is 275amp, it does 135amps at idle. $449 plus shipping and the $25 for the extra 4 guage wire to the battery.

15" inch woofers fit fine.
pm me info on the retail of that alterantor!!!! any reviews on it?
Old 05-11-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MyWs62FaST4u
pm me info on the retail of that alterantor!!!! any reviews on it?
PM sent, I sent back the 4 guage wire. it's not enough to handle the power. I asked for 1/0 guage. Didn't have any so they gave me the upgraded 2/0 which is a little large; more than enough for sure!