Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help Choosing Amplifer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Choosing Amplifer?

I'm finally breaking down and putting a system in my car, considering the wiring is already there and I'm tired of not even having a CD-Player in my car. Plus I figure I can always bring the system with Me, when mods to a car can be taken off, but not always used on another vehicle.

I plan on selling my Pioneer Head Unit that I have, and using the money plus a little more on a new MP3 Head Unit. The Pioneer won't work for the Camaro because of that damn Bose system from the factory, but when I get a new Head Unit I plan on buying that stupid little $40.00 adapter so I can have a CD-Player.

Here's what I plan on running, I'm not looking for anything incredible, just cheap... decently loud, and good sound quality. A lot of mixing and matching but it's cheap nonetheless.

Head Unit: Sony CDX-F5700 MP3 Player. (Good head unit, plus you can change the LCD Color which I think is cool, pushes 52w x 4) - $134.95

Speakers: Audiobahn AS65Q 6.5 3 Way Speakers 100w RMS (Cheap speakers, good reviews, should be good enough for my fronts, already have Pioneer 6.5 in rear) - $29.99 (2)

Subwoofers: Pioneer Premier 12' TS-W126DVC 400w RMS (Heard these are pretty good for basic subs, I plan on running a custom built Camaro box too put them in, cheap, look crappy, but recommend by friends) - $109.99 (2)

Now since I'm not very experienced with Car Audio, I figure I need some help on choosing a good amp to power the subs. I will let the speakers run off the amp from my CD-Player, which should be sufficent. But the subs will obviously need something, they are 400w RMS, so should I find an Amp that pushes 400 watts, or 800watts? Any info would help, I get confushed with all the Watts, OHMs, and all that.

I know this isn't much for those of you with nice systems, but for a guy who is used to a Tape Player, I think this should be perfect. Any information would be greatly appreciated, I decided I was going to spend the money I was going to use on mods to my car, on a system, because I might end up trading my car off for a commuter, or LS1 depending on what I have to spend at the end of the school year. I'm going to be making the purchases as soon as I get some good amp suggestions.

Thanks in Advance
Old 02-13-2006, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

If you are on a budget, you can get used amps on e-bay. I have bought a few and never had any trouble. They have some old school rockfords that slam. Use one of these and your subs will hit! Most people say those amps are under rated. I have two of them, and am very happy. Just a thought, I know some people are not comfortable buying used.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

The headunit you picked sounds ok, my wife has the Sony 7700 and sounds great running 4 6.5's off the headunit. She has $50 Infinity reference 6.5's up front and $50 Polk 6.5's in back seat(from ebay) and they sound great. Subs sound fine, just don't try to rattle the neighborhood or you'll toast them. I always look on ebay for amp, if that is your thing, you can save $. For about $125 you should be able to find a nice MTX amp that would power those subs great. I found a MTX 2150x off ebay for $60 shipped(425watts rms @ 4ohm) and run 2 Memphis Audio 10's and they pound.