Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

9 monsoon and 12 disc changer = no work :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9 monsoon and 12 disc changer = no work :(

since day one the previous owners never could get it to work, i think i read somewhere, that this was an issue with the 98 monsoon stereos. any of u know about this? and perhaps know the fix?
Old 02-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Is your headunit a cassette or CD player? If it is a CD then it won't work with a CD changer. If this is the case, I happen to have a Monsoon CD player out of my 2000 Camaro that is for sale.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also have one for sale out of a 2001 if you need.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Hey I have a question as well I just purchased a monsoon cassette player to go along with my disc changer but havent installed it yet i needed to know if it was fairly simply to remove the old tape deck and install the new one. Does the front just pop off or do you need to un bolt
Old 02-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Lftu2
Hey I have a question as well I just purchased a monsoon cassette player to go along with my disc changer but havent installed it yet i needed to know if it was fairly simply to remove the old tape deck and install the new one. Does the front just pop off or do you need to un bolt
Carefully pry the radio surround trim off - it's just held in place by clips but they will be tight if it hasn't been removed before. On a Camaro, disconnect the switches (ASR and/or fog light) - there are none on a Firebird. Remove the three bolts that hold the radio in place using a 7mm socket. The radio will now slide out. Just disconnect the harness and the antenna, plug in your replacement radio, and reverse the procedure to install. The whole operation can be done in five minutes.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

it is the original tape deck and the owners said it hasnt worked since day one.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by TraviZ
it is the original tape deck and the owners said it hasnt worked since day one.
Which part isn't working - the radio, the tape player, or the CD changer? Does anything work (lights, clock, etc.)?

There has been no particular problem with these systems not working (although they're not particularly well built and tend to fail over time). What you probably heard about was what dontshakepandas mentioned - the CD changers wouldn't work with 98 CD head units.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the Help
Old 02-23-2006, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Which part isn't working - the radio, the tape player, or the CD changer? Does anything work (lights, clock, etc.)?

There has been no particular problem with these systems not working (although they're not particularly well built and tend to fail over time). What you probably heard about was what dontshakepandas mentioned - the CD changers wouldn't work with 98 CD head units.
no no, i have a tape deck, and the tape deck wont recognize any cd's.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by TraviZ
no no, i have a tape deck, and the tape deck wont recognize any cd's.
This may seem like a dumb question but are you putting the discs in the right way? The factory changer is the only one I've ever seen where the discs go in "upside-down" (label side on the bottom).
Old 02-24-2006, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

yes i am sure of this.
i hate the radio
Old 02-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

What exactly are the symptoms? Does the changer load discs when you insert the magazine? If not, you may not have power there. Are you testing with store-bought CDs? It won't read CD-RWs and sometimes has trouble with CD-Rs (also it can't play MP3 tracks). Does the head unit recognize that there is a changer attached (does it try to switch to it)? When you switch to the changer can you hear any activity (switching discs, etc.)? Anything else you've noticed that might help diagnose the problem?