Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Found the perfect sail panel replacement speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2 ohm or 4 ohm?

Ok, so I pulled the factory sail panel speakers out and this is what is shown on the back of them:

Rev. 00
Delco Electronics
36908P 0226
Assembled In Mexico
4 Ohm/4 Ohm
02M0626E

So according to these markings, the factory speakers have dual voice coils that are 4 Ohms each, not 2 Ohms each. Is the label incorrect on the speakers?
Old 03-15-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rybo Flavin
Ok, so I pulled the factory sail panel speakers out and this is what is shown on the back of them:

Rev. 00
Delco Electronics
36908P 0226
Assembled In Mexico
4 Ohm/4 Ohm
02M0626E

So according to these markings, the factory speakers have dual voice coils that are 4 Ohms each, not 2 Ohms each. Is the label incorrect on the speakers?

That is corrrect for the Firebird sail speakers. Camaros have 2 ohm single voice coil speakers. The 2 coils are wired seperately to the Monsoon amplifier, so there will be 4 wires to each speaker.

If you decide to drop in aftermarket speakers in your F'bird, you simply hook up one of the coil pairs to each replacement speaker. The two coil channels cannot be bridged, according to other posts on here. Since I don't have access to a Monsoon equipped F'bird (or any F'bird for that matter), I can't investigate why that is so. Note: There's a link in the Monsoon FAQ to a page that gives the wire colors to the Monsoon amp, so you can identify which wire is which.

Last edited by HiTechGent; 03-15-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

My apologies. I didn't realize that the Camaro's and Firebirds had different sail panel speakers...throughout this entire thread and I was getting really confused. Thanks for clearing it up.

On a side note, I ended up ordering a pair of factory replacements from txparts.com:
http://www.txparts.com/servlet/the-2...Factory/Detail

They sure sound better than the blown out originals. The store claims that,
These speakers commonly fail as the original design could not handle the 500 watts of power the monsoon system put out; this new design has more handling power and will not blow out easily like the original "
Only time will tell if that is true, but they were $15 a speaker less than my local dealership, so I couldn't resist. As long as I am careful with the sound levels, I think they'll be fine. If not, I'll get some of the TS-M7PRS speakers.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FYI: The Monsoon amplifier puts out 500W total to all speakers MAX. I very much doubt any one speaker is likely ever to see more than 100W, if that.

Quick Reply: Found the perfect sail panel replacement speakers.