Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help with wiring speakers....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with wiring speakers....

I am the Village Idiot when it comes to this so I need your help...please, keep it simple. I have a 98 T/A, keeping the monsoon amp and H/U, only replacing the speakers.

Front: Infinity 62.7i--Question: They have 2 sets of posts, do I wire the existing tweeter wires to one set of posts, and the existing main speak wires to the other set of posts??

Sailpanel: Audiobahn AMD 60Q--Question: There are 4 existing wires in the car (on both sides)....do the 2 positive wires on each side connect to the one positive post, and 2 negative wires on each side connect to the one negative post?

Hatch: Alpine SPS-100A--Question: Does the existing positive wire for the old tweeter and speaker connect to the positive terminal on the Alpine, and the existing negative wire from the old tweeter and speaker connect to the negative terminal??

Again, please keep it simple, so I don't have to keep bothering you with "dumb" followup questions....Thanks guys.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by boeing727
I am the Village Idiot when it comes to this so I need your help...please, keep it simple. I have a 98 T/A, keeping the monsoon amp and H/U, only replacing the speakers.

Front: Infinity 62.7i--Question: They have 2 sets of posts, do I wire the existing tweeter wires to one set of posts, and the existing main speak wires to the other set of posts??

Sailpanel: Audiobahn AMD 60Q--Question: There are 4 existing wires in the car (on both sides)....do the 2 positive wires on each side connect to the one positive post, and 2 negative wires on each side connect to the one negative post?

Hatch: Alpine SPS-100A--Question: Does the existing positive wire for the old tweeter and speaker connect to the positive terminal on the Alpine, and the existing negative wire from the old tweeter and speaker connect to the negative terminal??

Again, please keep it simple, so I don't have to keep bothering you with "dumb" followup questions....Thanks guys.

Fronts: Yes. You either hook the wires from your tweeters to the tweeter terminals on your 62.7's, or keep your stock tweeters and only hook up the woofers on the 62.7's.

Sails: You should only hook up one pair of wires to each speaker. Tieing the 2 channels together does not sound good, according to folks who have tried it. The stock wiring is:

Driver side:
WHT = Coil 1 (+)
YEL = Coil 1 (-)
BLU/WHT = Coil 2 (+)
LT GRN/BLK = Coil 2 (-)

Passenger side:
TAN = Coil 1 (+)
RED = Coil 1 (-)
GRN = Coil 2 (+)
LT BLU/BLK = Coil 2 (-)

I don't think it matters whether you use the Coil 1 or Coil 2 inputs. But you can try both and see if one sounds better than the other.

Rear: In the T/A you have a pair of tweeters in addition to the 4" midrange speakers back there. You should be able to use either input to your SPS-100A's. They are both full range signals, I believe. You can decide which inputs sound better. Note: as with the doors, the Tweeters are driven directly from the H/U while the mids come thru the Monsoon amplifier. Unlike the door woofers, the rear hatch mids are not crossed. I'm not really sure if these signals are even amplified.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

I appreciate your help with this. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Just to clarify: For the Sail Panels you connect a coil 1 + with a coil 1 -, or a coil 2 + with a coil 2 -, not a coil 1 + with a coil 2 -....is this correct?
Old 03-06-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes. I'd stick with using the matched pairs. Although, I cannot say for sure that hooking up the (+) wire for Coil 1 and the (-) wire for coil 2 (or vice versa) would not work. But, without more detailed info on the amp (i.e. electrical schematics), I can't recommend doing so.