Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 07:58 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Amp ?

I have the opportunity to buy a JL W3 12' from a friend for a super good price. what sort of amp should I be looking at? Also, what is the recomended box volume for a 12 inch sub?
Old 03-08-2006, 02:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want to find out that information go to www.jlaudio.com. As far as a good amp to find it depends on the particular model of the sub. If it is a dual 4 ohm sub you are gonna need an amp that generates its most power @ 2 ohms. This would mean a mono-amp If it is a dual 2 ohm sub you are gonna need an amp that genaretes its most power @ 4 ohms. This would most likely be a 2-channel amp that you would bridge both channels to get the most power to the sub. There are other ways that you can go, but these are the most common and practical for your application. A couple amps that I would reccomend you to check out would be (Mono amps: JL audio 250/1, Rockford Fosgate P3001, Alpine MRD-M350) (2-Channel Amps: JL audio 300/2, Rockford Fosgate P3002, Kenwood KAC-7202) These are only a very small amount of various models that would work for your particular application. I have a Rockford Fosgate T5002 for sale in the "stuff for sale" section. It is a 2 channel amp but it is stable @ 2 ohms when its bridged. I would suggest it if you want ALOT of power and are possibly considering running another sub. The birth certificate reads 1236 watts X1 RMS @ 2 ohms. $300--->It retails for $700. Good Luck