Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

custom dash with engine start, key hole, toggle switches

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 06:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom dash with engine start, key hole, toggle switches

Hey,

I have an idea to make or buy a dash board insert that would house a engine start button, toggle switches, and to relocate the place where you put the key in.

How hard would it be to move the key hole to the dash board insert, next to the engine start button?
Old 03-17-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not offering any advice because I dunno, but got a question. Assuming you mean putting it right where the cig lighter goes on the console, wouldn't your keychain / other keys rattle like hell on the console top?
Old 03-17-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FireSilverLullaby
Hey,
How hard would it be to move the key hole to the dash board insert, next to the engine start button?
Whats a "dashboard insert"?
Old 03-22-2006, 02:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FireSilverLullaby
Hey,

I have an idea to make or buy a dash board insert that would house a engine start button, toggle switches, and to relocate the place where you put the key in.

..... all the electrial stuff in my steering column took a dump a few items at a time. First the turn signals, then the cruse, horn, & wipers. Well I just keep driving it until the ignition switch finally broke. Oviously now I had to do something so I figured how much it'd cost to fix it correctly and said "no way", I'm not putting this much money in it. So I proceeded to put a panel down {home made aluminum} below the dask with a starter button, on/off ignition switch, toggle accessory switch, turn signal toggles, wiper toggles, wiper squirter button, etc.... Hey, my car is beat up & I'm getting another one soon so I really wasn't concerned about 'Mickey Mousing' it but if your car is in decient shape, DON'T DO IT..... It ended up costing me WAY MORE money than if I'd of fixed it correctly & it was A LOT of work...... In fact A TON of work..... but now that I think about it it was sort a fun but then I'm retired so it gave me something to do..... Looking back on the project I refer to it now as my 'clean time tweaker project'....he,he,he, if you've been there you'll know what I mean.... bill