Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

new hu help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new hu help

I have a 93 Z28 with bose CD. Got sick of all the yellow crap and started replacing. It's came down to the head unit. Bought a pioneer DEH-6800MP. I read around that there is something you gotta do with wiring for the amps. What is up with this? Is there a kit you can buy to power up this? I hooked up the harness and have no sound. I'm thinking it's the amp. Cause the harness is missing one wire. Anyone been here before and shine some knowledge?
Old 03-24-2006, 09:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

When you say you started replacing things, have you replaced the speakers? The Bose system uses a special head unit with high-impedance low level output to speakers that have individual amps integrated into them. If you haven't replaced the speakers then you will need to get an adapter to convert the Pioneer's output to the Bose standard. If you replace the speakers as well as the head unit then it's just like hooking up any other aftermarket system.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where can I get the adapter at? The only thing I'm planed on replacing is the hu, but kinda thinking elsewise now.

Last edited by Rhoop24; 03-24-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

One model is the Precision Interface Electronics (PIE) model HRC-GM21. It plugs directly into the factory harness on one side and connects to the aftermarket radio on the other. It includes four channel separate gain controls so you can adjust for your head unit's output. It costs about $50 and you can get it from several places online (Logjam Electronics is one).