Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Convertible Speaker Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Convertible Speaker Questions

Are there only 4 speakers in a convertible?
My Monsoon HU was replaced with an Alpine, but retains the Monsoon amp and speakers...sounds like a transister radio! I am looking to replace the amp and speakers. I am not looking to "thump" the neighborhood (infact, I hate those cars)...I just want a good sound with the stock speaker holes/grills. Any recomendations or words of advice? By the way, I am illiterate in stereo talk...lol

Thanks
Old 04-15-2006, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are only four speakers on a vert , ive had both an aftermarket stereo and the stock one still on the monsoon amp and memphis components on the doors with cross overs and infinity coaxials in the back. sounds better with the aftermarket radio.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get 4 medium quality co-axials, and bi-wire them up still using the monsoon amp.

I had my vert setup like this as an intermediate step in my system, (kenwood deck, 4x alpines, monsoon amp) and it sounded very, very good. The monsoon amp is not the weak point. The crappy factory head unit feeding it distortion and the crappy monsoon speakers are what saddle the factory system in verts.

Trust me, because you have nothing to lose. Get 4 decent co-axials (or most importantly, start with the fronts at least) and bi-wire them to the factory amp.

Careful in the back, you'll probably need a spacer to keep the top mechanism from hitting the back of the speaker. And you need to watch the screws you use because if they are too long they can get into where the top drops.

You'll be happy.